Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones
- Eight drivers for surround sound, in-line volume controls, removable ear-cup pads, detachable microphone
- Tinny high notes
The Razer Barracuda HP-1 gaming headphones are a solid surround sound option for PC gaming. The sound quality is fairly good and the overall experience of the eight drivers was, if nothing else, a lot of fun.
Price$ 129.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 8 stores)
Razer is already well known for its gaming mice, but can now be recognised for its gaming headphones too, thanks to the Razor Barracuda HP-1. With soft, padded ear-cups and a discreet, detachable microphone, the Barracuda HP-1 gaming headphones provide immersive surround sound in comfort. An in-line remote allows for instant volume control, and the use of eight speaker drivers gives gamers another dimension to their gaming experience.
The connection used by the Barracuda HP-1 headphones looks very similar to a DVI connector and is actually designed to connect to Razer's Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card, which is used in conjunction with the HP-1 for improved performance. We tested the Barracuda HP-1 without the AC-1 Gaming Audio Card, instead using the onboard audio of our Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard via the supplied 6-channel analogue breakout cable, which uses standard 3.5mm jacks.
Setting up the headphones is quite simple. The breakout cable has three 3.5mm jacks for 6-channels and a microphone jack. It also has a USB connector, which supplies power to the headphones. The in-line remote allows the volume to be adjusted for front, rear, centre and bass individually, as well as the master volume. Also found on the in-line remote is an on/off switch, which has three settings. The third setting simply turns the headphones on, but also sets ablaze the blue LED Razor logos on either ear-cup and on the remote itself.
Individually adjusting the volume for each channel is something we found very handy, giving greater control over the audio environment. The drivers were able produce audio much louder than we were comfortable listening to, without distorting at all. The sound quality is good, but not outstanding. High tones had a slightly hollow feel with a very subtle tinny twang. The bass was more than enough for gaming, rumbling noticeably on deep notes, but not quite good enough to be our first choice when listening to bass-heavy music. Surround sound tests showed the headphones are capable of producing a clear directional sound from anywhere in a spherical sound-scape, including from above and below the point of reference, which makes 3D gaming environments considerably more immersive.
The head strap is self-adjusting and fits comfortably. The microphone is fairly small, staying well out of the way and can be easily removed if it becomes annoying. Despite its small size, the microphone delivers clear audio and has built-in noise reduction to improve the sound quality. The ear-cup pads are removable, which can be a blessing when trying to clean them after a long hot gaming session.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 2 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 3 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 4 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
- 5 Apple Watch review: saving time
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
- Sennheiser's new DJ range of headphones
- B&W P5 headphones to become the ultimate luxury accessory
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTMedia and Communications AdvisorACT
- CCDrupal DeveloperNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- CCInternal Communications AdvisorNSW
- FTPR & Corporate Affairs ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW