Radica Play TV Legends Space Invaders
- Good selection of old school titles, responsive arcade stick
- Mediocre picture quality, low grade buttons, too expensive.
For those of you looking for a trip down memory lane this product will provide some light amusement, but for the rest you are better off looking elsewhere for the thrill.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
When you look at the graphics, sound and immersion of today's video games it's hard to believe that they developed from such simple origins. The bump mapped, spectral lit, high resolution Dolby 5.1 world we know today was a thing of science fiction when video games were first invented. Two rectangles hitting a square back and forth to the tune of a few beeps was the work of a genius. For those of us old enough to remember Pong and Space Invaders, Radica have released an arcade stick infused with a good dose of nostalgia and a one way ticket to memory lane.
The Radica Play TV Legends Space Invaders is a replica of an old arcade machine joystick and buttons which plugs into the television set via standard RCA cables. Once turned on, it displays a menu of 5 games, one of which is the classic "Space Invaders". While the other games aren't nearly as famous as Space Invaders they are all instantly recognizable once you start a game.
The games are exactly as you remember them, with the same graphics and sounds except you don't have to pump money into them, nor do you have to hang out at the local fish and chip shop to play them. The joystick is very responsive in most games and the buttons work well but they don't seem to be as high quality as the stick, which tends to bring down the aesthetic appeal of the Play TV.
The unit is sturdy and well-built and can't be faulted in this department. Where it can be faulted is the picture quality. The usual RCA problems are prevalent but also seem to be a little amplified, meaning much of the finer detail in the text is replaced by an annoying haze. While normally in a system like this, a mediocre image is somewhat expected but at this price point it seems as though corners have been cut in the design process. It's a real shame, because the Play TV has the potential to be a high quality product worthy of the nostalgia it spawns.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- IBM's hub for wearables could have you out of the hospital faster
- HoloLens Spectator View makes it easier to show off AR creations
- Lenovo's ThinkPad P71 will work with HTC, Oculus VR headsets
- Lenovo's Yoga A12 Android 2-in-1 has futuristic touch panel keyboard
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Infra)NSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- CCDevOps Engineer - TelcoVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTGraduate Software Developer - SASNSW
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCCyber Security ProfessionalACT
- CCIT Support TechnicianNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD