Quickoffice Premier 5.0
Productivity suite for smartphones
- Can read a variety of formats
- Preload version on recent Nokia phones can only read documents
For anyone who wants to revise documents, spreadsheets or presentations on the go, without needing to carry a laptop, Quickoffice Premier 5.0 could be just the ticket, while anyone frustrated with the (very!) basic Nokia S60 diary should take a look at the same publisher's Quickcalendar.
Price$ 70.00 (AUD)
Quickoffice Premier 5.0 is an MS Office compatible productivity suite for smartphones.
If you need to revise documents, spreadsheets or presentations on the go, but don't want to carry a laptop, Quickoffice Premier 5.0 could be just what you're looking for.
As the name might suggest, Quickoffice Premier 5.0 is an office suite for handheld devices, in particular mobile phones and especially Symbian, although there's also versions for PalmOS and BlackBerry. On Symbian, there are versions for Nokia Series 60 and the UIQ3 interface favoured by Sony-Ericsson and Motorola.
Quickoffice Premier 5.0 is compatible with Microsoft-format documents, spreadsheets and presentations, which means it's also compatible with other software that can generate those.
We used Quickoffice Premier 5.0 quite happily with files from OpenOffice for instance. MS-Office 97 to 2003 files are supported across the range, but only the latest S60 v3 release supports Office 2007 files.
That's because new versions of Quickoffice usually appear first on S60. Indeed, if you have a reasonably recent Nokia phone, there's a fair chance it comes with Quickoffice pre-loaded. Be warned though that the preload version will be read-only, and cannot edit files.
Even in view mode, one of the best things about Quickoffice Premier 5.0 is you can zoom in and out, and shrink the font down to see a decent amount of a document — as long as your eyesight is up to it, of course. On a phone where the default text viewer can barely fit 30 words to a screen, it's a huge step forward.
It lets you create files as well as edit them, and it supports T9 predictive text on a normal phone keypad. Anyone typing more than a few words is likely to want a qwerty keyboard though — if your device doesn't have one of these built in, you can use an external keyboard. Quickoffice Premier 5.0 was quite happy with our iGo Bluetooth folding keyboard, for example.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 launches with its fair share of bugs
- These graphics cards and processors support Windows 10's DirectX 12 graphics tech
- Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users
- Hands on with Windows 10's Windows Hello: It just works
- Windows 10: Fact vs. fiction
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW