- 32-hour battery life, removable battery, included AC and in-car chargers, speedy performance, non-slip back
- No included suction cap to stick to a window
The BT-Q818 boasts a fantastic battery life and speedy GPS performance, so it's an ideal receiver for the relatively inexpensive asking price.
Price$ 120.00 (AUD)
Boasting 32 channels and 32 hours of continuous use from a single charge, QStarz BT-Q818 is a simple but extremely effective GPS receiver. Although it lacks a suction cup to mount to a window, it performs reliably well and is quick to gain a GPS fix.
Design wise, the BT-Q818 is a compact but largely unremarkable looking unit. It has just a single switch to power on as well as a standard mini-USB port for charging. The anti-slip rubber backing on the rear is a nice touch and means you should be able to rest the unit on the dashboard in your car, for example. A suction cap to stick to a window would have been a nice inclusion though.
The BT-Q818 strays away from the popular SiRF Star III GPS receiver and instead uses an MTK GPS module. It's the first time we've reviewed a device that uses this chipset and we were very pleased with the results, managing to lock onto a GPS signal in just under a minute, speedier than the far more expensive LD-4W Bluetooth GPS Module.
We tested the receiver with a HP iPAQ 112 Classic PDA running the latest CoPilot Live 7 GPS software, but the BT-Q818 works with most Bluetooth mobile phones and PDAs. Most impressive was the accuracy of this unit; even a slight movement of the receiver managed to update the GPS coordinates.
Although the BT-Q818 has 32 channels, this isn't really necessary as there are only 24 GPS satellites in total and you can only connect up to 12 at one time. Regardless, we found the overall performance of this unit a slight improvement on the LD-4W Bluetooth GPS Module.
Pairing is as simple as turning the unit on, whereby it automatically enters pairing mode. Three LED indicators on the front signal battery life, Bluetooth connectivity and GPS reception.
QStarz claims the BT-Q818 can provide a whopping 32 hours of operating time from one full three-hour charge and the Lithium Ion battery is removable. Conveniently, if you turn your phone or PDA off, the BT-Q818 automatically enters "sleeping mode", saving power. When you switch your phone or PDA back on again, the unit will automatically switch back into full power mode and detect a GPS signal again.
Both in-car AC chargers are bundled in the sales package.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
- Goodbye GPS? DARPA preparing alternative position-tracking technology
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Life 400 DeveloperNSW
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- CCTableau ConsultantVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst / DeveloperNSW
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCTransport Planner - GIS SpecialistNSW
- CCGun Java Developer wanted...VIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTIMO Change Manager - EclipseNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT