This GPS receiver is small as a keyring, but powerful enough to track your trek.
- Size and weight, design, can log travel routes and record data, quick fix times
- Software can be confusing and is in need of a revamp, one button operation can be fiddly at times
The BT-Q1300 may be the size of a keyring, but this is a pretty nifty device. It tracks your movements accurately and of course can also used for navigation when paired with a PDA or mobile phone. The included software does need some work though.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
QStarz's BT-Q1300 Travel Recorder is a Bluetooth GPS device that can be used to track and log your movements. Designed as a keyring, the BT-Q1300 can interact with Google Earth and Google Maps.
The Q1300 is one of the smallest GPS receivers we’ve come across. It's constructed largely of plastic, with gold edges and a fancy pattern on the front; the anti-slip rubber backing on the rear is also a nice touch. The unit has a power switch and a standard mini-USB port for charging, as well as four LED lights that denote power, GPS activity, logging and Bluetooth.
In addition to providing a GPS signal, the BT-Q1300 allows you to track your movements using Google Earth. To use this, you need to install the supplied software and drivers on your computer.
The GPS receiver isn't too difficult to use, though a quick read of the user guide is advised. The one-button operation may allow a slimline design, but it means a bit of fiddling is required to change modes. Holding down the button for four seconds turns it on, and holding for two seconds activates the logger. Simply tapping the button marks your current location as a waypoint. We were very impressed with speed — in most instances, the BT-Q1300 manages to lock onto a GPS signal in less than 30 seconds.
Once you've completed your trip or journey, you simply connect the unit to your PC and select the Read GPS option in the included travel recorder software. For Google Maps you can view your trip within the application window. For Google Earth, you'll need to export the log file. Conveniently, moving the mouse over the log trail shows relevant data, including time, date and speed.
The travel recorder software included with the unit allows you to adjust a number of settings, including how often data is logged. You can adjust this according to both time and speed. The software is largely unremarkable and could use a facelift, so like with the receiver itself it's best to read through the provided instructions before using it.
QStarz claims the BT-Q1300 can provide up to 12 hours of battery life from one full charge. An in-car charger is included in the sales package.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Goodbye GPS? DARPA preparing alternative position-tracking technology
- Elon Musk: Teslas could drive themselves, today
- Nvidia unveils $10,000 autonomous driving computer
- Driverless cars in the UK gets the OK from government
- Spotify hijacks Uber speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTManager, Portfolio GovernanceNSW
- CCProgram Support ManagerQLD
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCOpen_5pm 5th February_Program ArchitectACT
- CCMultiple Middleware DevelopersACT
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java, Oracle ADF) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- FTJava or Ruby Web DeveloperVIC
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- CCETL DeveloperNSW
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- FTInsight / Customer - Data ScientistNSW
- FTChange & Communications OfficerQLD
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- CCIT Hadoop DevelopersQLD
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTProgram ManagerNSW
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW
- CCSAP Basis Admin with JavaACT