QNAP NMP-1000 media streamer
QNAP's media streamer eschews a fancy interface for speed and ease of use
- Snappy GUI, backup features, good codec support and playback
- Network write speeds not fantastic, poor remote control
If you want to conduct file backups as well as play media files, QNAP’s NMP-1000 is worth considering. It's a well-built media streamer that has a quick and easy-to-use interface.
Price$ 574.00 (AUD)
QNAP's NMP-1000 is a media streamer that benefits from the company’s extensive experience in network-attached storage, offering a variety of backup and archiving options.
Made with the same high quality plastics as QNAP’s TS-439 Pro and TS-809 Pro, the NMP-1000 is both unobtrusive and stylish with a glossy black finish and dark silver accents. The remote control is not as fantastic, though, and its control scheme leaves a little to be desired; the pause button is a fair distance from the OK/play button, for example.
When it comes to connecting to your TV and other devices, the QNAP NMP-1000 covers its bases adequately. An HDMI port is the one you’re most likely to be using to connect to your flat-screen television, but if you’ve got an older screen you’ll be pleased to see composite, component and S-Video connectors; there’s no VGA connector. It has two host USB ports and a Gigabit Ethernet jack. You can also connect it directly to a PC via the third USB port or eSATA (though using these connectors causes the NMP-1000 to function purely as an external hard drive).
The QNAP NMP-1000 has a simple interface. A preview screen takes up most of the interface, and you can browse media files by type (video, music or photos). There’s also a settings menu that lets you adjust video and audio options, along with a series of options that allow connection to remote hard drives and SMB shares over the network for remote file backup. The interface is quick and switching between menus is a breeze.
When it comes down to actually playing media files, the QNAP NMP-1000 acquits itself well. It can function purely as a media streamer grabbing files off the network, but it has a 3.5in hard drive bay that will support a drive of up to 2TB. The NMP-1000 media streamer supports file types ranging from regular MPEG to XviD, H.264 and VC1 high-definition codecs. Audio file support is equally strong, with the player supporting FLAC file playback — so you can enjoy your lossless music collection.
Video playback was as good as from any other media streamer we’ve tested: our high-definition test samples were rendered accurately and displayed plenty of detail when we used the HDMI port. Lower-resolution DVD-quality videos and files tended to be slightly soft; the upside of this is that any compression artefacts in the video won't be as apparent.
If you’re looking for a media player that can also be used to back up files, we're happy to recommend QNAP’s NMP-1000.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- Amazon's faster new Fire TV Stick comes with an Alexa-enabled voice remote
- 4K Chromecast Ultra details leak ahead of Google event
- Sonos comes to the Apple store, but what does that mean for Beats speakers?
- Plex Cloud lets you say goodbye to your always-on home media server
- Sony's first 4K Blu-ray player reminds you what a steal the Xbox One S truly is
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC