Pure One Elite digital radio
The Pure One Elite is digital radio that offers great value for money
- Great sound quality, excellent bang for buck
- The rubber finish will mark easily if proper care is not taken
The Pure One Elite digital radio has a very fair price considering its features and audio quality. It's unobtrusive design makes it ideal for a bedside table or kitchen counter, and it is also lightweight, so you can take it with you easily.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Pure One Elite is a digital radio with a neo-retro design and a very reasonable price tag.
The Pure One Elite digital radio's small size makes it an ideal travel companion — taking six C-cell batteries, the Pure One Elite has a play time of around 70 hours. A rechargeable battery pack can also be purchased. The body of the radio has a smooth, rubberised finish. While this feels nice to touch, you'd better only handle it with clean hands as the rubber has a porous texture and will absorb grease and grime.
Located on the front of the device is a plethora of buttons surrounding a navigatio wheel, which also doubles as a selection button. On top sits the obligatory telescopic aerial — we didn’t need to extend it when tuning in to DAB+ digital radio, but FM stations benefit from its extension. On the right side of the Pure One Elite you can find a headphone jack, an auxiliary audio input port for connecting an MP3 player and a USB port for connecting to a PC and updating the firmware.
While the Pure One Elite isn’t going to set the world on fire with magical mind-blowing new features, but its ReVu function is a great plus. Using this function, the radio stores audio within a 15 minute buffer for either rewinding or fast-forwarding (after you rewind), so you can re-listen to a song or pause it while you answer the phone. The Pure One Elite offers a generous 50 station presets — 25 for FM and 25 for DAB+.
A 3-line, backlit LCD shows information such as volume, time, station ID and 'now playing' information. The screen is easy to read and has a bright backlight, but unfortunately you can only turn the backlight on or off; there are no settings adjust its brightness.
Audio quality is good but not excellent. The Pure One Elite uses two full-range, 3in speakers that can handle high volumes with ease. Like the Pure One Classic and the Pure EVOKE Flow, bass and treble both perform well and can be adjusted using an equaliser. Mid-range sound is also reasonably good although at higher volumes it begins to lose clarity. The Pure One Elite would be best suited to a small room or kitchen, as it performs best at low to moderate volume levels.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Digital BA (iOS / Android)NSW
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- FTData AnalystsWA
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCPorfolio Value Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- FTTandem/NonStop Technical ConsultantWA
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCWebSphere Message BrokerACT
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW