Pure ONE Classic DAB+ digital radio
A simple Pure digital radio set with good sound quality
- Well-rounded sound, simple and intuitive menus, sturdy design
- Expensive for a basic model, can't record
As a simple introduction to the glittery world of DAB+ digital radio, the Pure One Classic is a good product. Decent monaural sound, an easy interface and a great design combine to create a digital radio that is equally usable at home or while on the move.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
The Pure ONE Classic digital radio can receive signals on the DAB+ or FM spectrums and play them back through its full-range, 3in 1.8W speaker. A good design and a refined interface make the ONE Classic a benchmark in the entry-level digital radio market.
With a similar case to the Sangean DPR-99 DAB radio, the Pure ONE Classic conforms to the single-speaker transistor radio stereotype we’ve seen for decades. You’ve seen it all before: speaker on one half and controls on the other, with a telescopic aerial extending from the radio’s top. All this is standard stuff, but it was the ONE Classic’s rubberised satin finish that caught our attention. Thanks to this the digital radio is able to survive everyday wear and tear. As an added bonus the ONE Classic is available in black, white or pink for the fashion forward.
The chromed volume control, which also acts as a general function button, is surrounded by a semi-circle of additional buttons including station presets and an alarm shortcut. The device’s two-line LCD display is easy to read. The buttons are logically laid out and intuitive to use; a result of Pure’s experience in the digital radio market.
This means that the menu of the Pure ONE Classic is easy to navigate, with sub-menus organised in a well thought out order. We had no problems using the radio’s main features as well as adjusting treble and bass in more advanced menus; we think that the ONE Classic would be easy for anyone to use without prior instruction.
Sound quality from the speaker is acceptable for an entry-level model. Pure has used a 3in full-range driver, with bass and mid-range well represented. This gives the ONE Classic a warm and inviting character; we expected that such a small speaker would deliver a clinical and harsh sound. With the bass setting cranked to maximum the Pure ONE Classic's case vibrates noticeably — a sign that the speaker has plenty of power. Maximum volume levels aren’t particularly high, but there’s no distortion even at full power.
All the basic DAB+ features like pausing and rewinding are available, as is scrolling text. The Pure ONE Classic is certified as an EcoPlus product by Pure, signifying that its recycled packaging and low power consumption contribute to a small ecological footprint. We liked the alarm function, which offers different tones and a weekday setting.
A 3.5mm output allows headphones to be connected (or a larger sound system if you’re so inclined). For those who want an old-school radio at their picnic rather than an Apple iPod Touch, the radio is able to accept six C cell batteries or Pure’s proprietary ChargePak which offers 40 hours of playback time.
There’s nothing noticeably wrong with the Pure ONE Classic. As a simple digital radio it’s a great product. It's an attractive purchase for anyone who wants digital radio with a dash of extra functionality.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- LG releases first flat screen OLED TV in Australia
- Samsung's 4K Blu-ray player debuts locally in May
- Report: Amazon wants to take on Spotify with a new music streaming service
- Apple is reportedly seeking exclusive content for the Apple TV
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCContract System Engineer (Lotus Domin) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- CCContract Software Engineer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer 160120/AP/vvtAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCData Migration SpecialistQLD
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- CCAEM DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Scrum/Pega SystemsNSW
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - CanberraNSW
- CCFront End Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- CCProcurement Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- CCContract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521Asia
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NPPVIC
- CCPega BPM Developer / Configurer - 12 months contractACT