Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio
This stylish DAB+ compatible digital radio can connect wirelessly to your PC
- Wireless music streaming, great interface and screen, stylish design
- Fingerprint magnet, sound quality doesn't justify the price-tag
The Pure EVOKE Flow is a digital radio that adds extra multimedia features and integrated Wi-Fi networking to a well-designed piece of hardware. It’s expensive, but you get a stylish device for your dollar.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Pure EVOKE Flow is a DAB+ compatible digital radio with integrated Wi-Fi networking, a battery port and auxiliary inputs. While it's not as full-featured as other digital radio players, its construction is second to none.
We were very impressed by the build quality of the Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio. You really need to see it to appreciate the finishing details. The piano black finish is glossy and rich, and the metal accents are finished in a dark shadow chrome. When you switch on the digital radio, a bright, super-crisp OLED screen fires up that puts the four line display of the OXX Classic DAB+ to shame. The Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio has a significantly higher resolution than the OXX Classic, and it displays additional information including the current volume, station name and scrolling track details.
It's simple to navigate the menu on the Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio. We had no difficulty viewing the different options and modes available using the bright high-resolution screen, and switching between FM, DAB and the wireless media streamer modes was easy.
Sound quality is good but not superb. The Pure EVOKE Flow has similar settings as the Pure ONE Classic for adjusting treble and bass to tailor the sound quality. In our tests we found the audio quality during DAB+ and streaming playback was good especially in a quiet environment, but the clarity was quickly lost if there was any background noise. Like other players of a similar size, the Pure EVOKE Flow has reasonable mid-range response so music and vocals often sound warm and rich. We like the way the Pure EVOKE Flow sounds, but it’s only at its best in a quiet environment.
The wireless features offered by the Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio are great. You can connect to a shared PC on your home wireless network and stream your downloaded music collection, and the Pure Lounge service is an added bonus you’ll only get with the company's digital radios. USing this feature you can browse recommended Internet radio stations and podcasts as well as download from Pure’s bank of sound effects — such as waves crashing on a beach, and birds chirping in a rainforest — which can be set as alarm sounds.
Pure has a range of optional accessories for the EVOKE Flow digital radio, ranging from a matching external speaker that increases the soundstage to an iPod dock and a remote control. These are all styled in the same manner as the radio itself, so if you’ve got some extra cash to burn you can upgrade the unit to suit your needs.
Let's make it clear — we don’t think that the Pure EVOKE Flow represents the same good value that we saw in the OXX Classic DAB+. That said, for the price you pay you get a piece of hardware that’s very stylist, as well as some well integrated features to make it a useful household addition.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Google's 4K HDR Chromecast Ultra costs US$69, and will launch in November
- Xiaomi's 4K-capable Mi Box is the most affordable Android TV device yet
- Amazon's faster new Fire TV Stick comes with an Alexa-enabled voice remote
- 4K Chromecast Ultra details leak ahead of Google event
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistVIC
- CCStrategy AnalystVIC
- CCSAP Finance Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (SQL/Web) 161027/SA/842Asia
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (CISCO/IT Security) 161028/AP/142Asia
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- FTSOE ConsultantACT
- CCData ScientistVIC
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTSenior programmer / ProgrammerAsia
- CCQlikview DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 161014/CO/vmtAsia
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161020/ITA/652Asia
- FTProgram SchedulerNSW
- CCCisco Wi-Fi Network Engineer - SurveyorNSW
- FTAgile Front End Developer- HTML5 & CSS3NSW
- CCADABAS Database Administrator - NV1 clearedACT
- CCSenior Full Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Web Programming) 161013/AP/185Asia
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161017/ITA/742Asia
- CCPOS EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW