Pure EVOKE-2S digital radio
This digital radio has great speakers and a good design
- Amazing sound quality, sturdy build, packed full of features
- Large and heavy
The Pure EVOKE-2S comes with a hefty price tag but it delivers great sound quality.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Pure EVOKE-2S is an eco-friendly digital radio that receives both digital audio broadcasts (DAB) and FM signals. It's marketed at people who want a digital radio for the kitchen, but you can use this model pretty much anywhere around the house. Pure has produced yet another great digital radio, but it carries a hefty price tag ($699).
The sound quality of the Pure EVOKE-2S is superb. It features a power-efficient Class D amplifier, and it produces clear sound and has a high maximum volume. Built into the unit is a pair of tuned speakers, each with a 15 Watt output rating. Each speaker consists of a dome tweeter and a 3in mid-range driver, and distortion is almost nonexistent when you crank the volume up.
The EVOKE-2S has an OLED display with great viewing angles. You can adjust the display's brightness level and also choose from a variety of styles; one simply has the time on it while others can have radio station names displayed as well as the current song that's playing.
An input for an MP3 player, a headphone jack and an audio out port are located on the back of the radio. A kitchen countdown timer is a nifty little bonus, and this digital radio is also equipped with a programmable alarm clock. You can update the radio's firmware via a USB port; this will be handy if Pure decides to update the interface of the radio, for example.
Like the Pure ONE Classic, the EVOKE-2S has a time-shift feature allowing you to ‘record’ radio for up to 15 minutes. This lets you stop a live broadcast and 'rewind' it (it won't let you save the audio).
The EVOKE-2S offers an impressive 100 presets (the OXX Classic DAB+ only has four).
There are a few drawbacks to the EVOKE-2S: at 2.7kg it's fairly hefty compared to other radios; the menu can be a tad hard to navigate at first (you get used to it); and a battery pack is an optional extra. Considering the price of the radio, we would have liked the battery pack to be included.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- Apple slates March 21 event, with 4-in. iPhone likely on the stage
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Tablets replace books for kids back at school
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Australian Government issues security warning to Apple users
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTMicrosoft Enterprise Project Management - Technical ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- CCAutomation ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSenior Embedded Software EngineerWA
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160818/P/265Asia
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCPortfolio Delivery ManagerACT
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCJunior/Intermediate Drupal web developer - APS Level 4/5 equiACT
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT