First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Pure Evoke-1S Marshall digital radio
Pure Evoke-1S Marshall: This digital radio goes up to 11
- Volume goes all the way up to 11, solid build quality, great audio and price!
- Mid-range frequencies are slightly muffled when listening to music at higher volume
We are really impressed with the Pure Evoke-1S Marshall digital radio; it looks and sounds amazing!
Price$ 279.00 (AUD)
Out just in time for Christmas, the Pure Evoke-1S Marshall is a digital radio that's perfect for music aficionados, aging rockers or anyone with an appreciation for Marshall Amplifiers. Furthermore, Spinal Tap fans will be tickled pink by the inclusion of a volume dial that goes all the way up to 11!
Check out our guide on how to buy the best digital radio.
The Pure Evoke-1S Marshall is a single speaker digital radio that has been styled to look like a Marshall guitar amplifier. And we have to say, it looks pretty darn cool. Vinyl encases the unit and hard protectors adorn all four corners of the radio. The corner protectors are a hallmark of Marshall amps, and the radio even carries a Marshall badge on its speaker grille.
The build quality of the radio is excellent; it's just as solid as other Pure products we have seen to date. It should be, as underneath all the fancy trimmings it's basically the same radio as the Pure Evoke-1S and the Pure Evoke Mio. In addition to digital radio, the Evoke-1S Marshall can also tune in to FM radio and it has an auxiliary input for connecting an iPod or any other type of MP3 player.
A high contrast yellow-on-black OLED display shows you which station you are tuned in to, and also scrolls information about the music that is currently being played (although this relies on the station supporting this feature). The OLED display features an automatic dimmer, which senses the amount of light in the room and adjusts the screen brightness accordingly. Buttons numbered from one to six can be found under the OLED display and these can be used to quickly access your favourite stations; up to 30 digital or FM presets can be programmed. On the back is where you’ll find a golden telescopic aerial, a 3.5mm line-in for auxiliary devices, USB (mini B-type) for firmware upgrades, a 3.5mm headphone jack, a 3.5mm line out (analog) jack, and a 3.5mm auxiliary speaker connection. The last of these can be used to attach an optional speaker in order to turn the Evoke-1S Marshall's sound from mono to stereo.
The audio quality of the Evoke-1S Marshall is excellent. Although there is only one 3in, 7W speaker, it handles high volumes easily and there is little to no distortion at all. You can even turn the volume knob all the way up to 11! In our tests, bass frequencies were not overpowering and high frequencies sounded clear and accurate. Mid-range frequencies sounded only slightly muffled when listening to music at higher volumes, but this wasn't overly annoying.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Latest News Articles
- LTE network for US public safety taking it one step at a time
- Phone unlocking bill clears US House, next step is president's signature
- Oracle's new in-memory database option could spark unanticipated costs, expert warns
- Bose sues Beats over headphone patents
- SEC drops probe into Facebook's pre-IPO sales disclosures
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 2 What does an NBN connection look like in a new home?
- 3 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 4 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 5 How to connect your iPhone to your TV
GGG Evaluation Team
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Home Entertainment View all »
- 16% off $747 free shipping
- 33% off $19.95
- $249.95 free shipping
- 2% off $23.12 free shipping
- TVs View all »
- Projectors View all »
- Monitors View all »
- Digital Video View all »