Pure Evoke-1S Marshall digital radio
Pure Evoke-1S Marshall: This digital radio goes up to 11
- Volume goes all the way up to 11, solid build quality, great audio and price!
- Mid-range frequencies are slightly muffled when listening to music at higher volume
We are really impressed with the Pure Evoke-1S Marshall digital radio; it looks and sounds amazing!
Price$ 279.00 (AUD)
Out just in time for Christmas, the Pure Evoke-1S Marshall is a digital radio that's perfect for music aficionados, aging rockers or anyone with an appreciation for Marshall Amplifiers. Furthermore, Spinal Tap fans will be tickled pink by the inclusion of a volume dial that goes all the way up to 11!
Check out our guide on how to buy the best digital radio.
The Pure Evoke-1S Marshall is a single speaker digital radio that has been styled to look like a Marshall guitar amplifier. And we have to say, it looks pretty darn cool. Vinyl encases the unit and hard protectors adorn all four corners of the radio. The corner protectors are a hallmark of Marshall amps, and the radio even carries a Marshall badge on its speaker grille.
The build quality of the radio is excellent; it's just as solid as other Pure products we have seen to date. It should be, as underneath all the fancy trimmings it's basically the same radio as the Pure Evoke-1S and the Pure Evoke Mio. In addition to digital radio, the Evoke-1S Marshall can also tune in to FM radio and it has an auxiliary input for connecting an iPod or any other type of MP3 player.
A high contrast yellow-on-black OLED display shows you which station you are tuned in to, and also scrolls information about the music that is currently being played (although this relies on the station supporting this feature). The OLED display features an automatic dimmer, which senses the amount of light in the room and adjusts the screen brightness accordingly.
Buttons numbered from one to six can be found under the OLED display and these can be used to quickly access your favourite stations; up to 30 digital or FM presets can be programmed. On the back is where you’ll find a golden telescopic aerial, a 3.5mm line-in for auxiliary devices, USB (mini B-type) for firmware upgrades, a 3.5mm headphone jack, a 3.5mm line out (analog) jack, and a 3.5mm auxiliary speaker connection. The last of these can be used to attach an optional speaker in order to turn the Evoke-1S Marshall's sound from mono to stereo.
The audio quality of the Evoke-1S Marshall is excellent. Although there is only one 3in, 7W speaker, it handles high volumes easily and there is little to no distortion at all. You can even turn the volume knob all the way up to 11! In our tests, bass frequencies were not overpowering and high frequencies sounded clear and accurate. Mid-range frequencies sounded only slightly muffled when listening to music at higher volumes, but this wasn't overly annoying.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPPMO LeadNSW
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystQLD
- FTField Engineer - Hardware RolloutsNSW
- FTSenior Data Warehouse ConsultantNSW
- CCSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsNSW
- CCPersonal AssistantNSW
- TPIntermediate Change ManagerQLD
- TPSystems EngineerQLD
- FTCapacity ManagerACT
- CCSenior Change ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - NV1ACT
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- FTSalesforce Project LeadQLD
- FTSecurity ConsultantNSW
- CCApplication Developer - VB.Net, WCF, Production SupportACT
- FTEngineer Control Systems SpecialistSA
- FTTeam Leader Application SupportVIC
- TPEducation TechnologistNSW
- FTSharepoint Support AnalystVIC
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTSecurity EngineerACT
- FTSoftware Engineer - Build/Image MaintenanceACT
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW