Protac Excel G900
- DVD burner, great display
At 4.9kg, this large desktop replacement may not be very portable, but it packs some power.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The Excel G900 has a 3.2GHz Mobile Intel Pentium 4 processor coupled with no less than 1GB of DDR memory--albeit of the older 266MHz PC2100 variety. These are fine specifications, and given the low cost of the notebook, the fact that it includes a multiformat DVD burner, 40GB hard disk and 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 graphics controller is quite impressive.
The 17" wide-aspect display looks a treat, with a high viewable angle. We noticed that the keyboard wasn't quite attached properly, a small gripe for an otherwise solid machine.
In addition to the two speakers on either side of the keyboard, there's a small subwoofer underneath the machine. There's also a headphone jack in addition to separate optical-out, front, rear and centre/sub connections for surround sound speakers. A remote is supplied for controlling the integrated TV tuner and its software. Controls on the front fascia allow you to playback CDs without Windows.
Gigabit networking is built in, along with a 56Kbps modem, an integrated six-in-one multi-card reader and support for one type II PC Card. It has a single FireWire port and four high-speed USB 2.0 ports.
Testing the notebook with our benchmarks demonstrated in on-par performance in all areas. Gamers will be interested to learn that Unreal Tournament 2003 testing returned 122 in the Face3 map and 60 for the Inferno map. It in battery test, it managed a worst-case-scenario battery life of 72 minutes.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Asus ROG teases a massive gaming notebook that outperforms Titan X
- Chromebooks beat Mac notebooks 1.4-to-1 in U.S.
- Guess how much HP sold its gold- and diamond-encrusted laptops for?
- No Play Store for old Chromebooks
- Google is bringing Android apps to Chromebooks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCMicrosoft System Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- FTInfrastructure Specialist VMwareNSW
- FTLinux System EngineersNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/.Net) 160523/AP/254Asia
- FTBusiness Systems Architect - Technical LeadershipWA
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- FTGraduate IT Support OfficerNSW
- CCTechnical Solutions Specialist - Software Developer (Client facing)NSW
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW
- CCDeployment Engineer / IT AuditorQLD
- CCSolutions Architect - SAP HANAQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCOracle Siebel Administrator - JULY STARTACT
- CCSoftware DevelopersACT
- CCRelease Manager, InfrastructureNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- CCSystems Analyst (HTML/JAVA/Wireless & Mobile) 160525/SA/443Asia