- Sound and Clarity, Buttons, Wind-Up USB Cable Storage, Headphone Jack
- Price, Installation Process
If you need a VoIP speakerphone, this is an excellent choice.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Polycom Communicator is a convenient VoIP speakerphone built specifically for Skype which provides full-duplex, two way telephone conversations via the Internet. While the design and performance are of a high calibre, it still barely justifies its hefty price tag.
The Communicator features an intelligent design that includes a fold out stand for optimum voice positioning. This stand doubles as a USB cable cover for storage. When opened, the rear of the Communicator is a handy wind up storage compartment for the USB cable. Of course, it's not as good as being wireless but this design adds a nice touch of convenience to the unit. A USB connection means the Communicator doesn't require any batteries or additional power sources to operate.
Unlike the NetComm V35 Portable USB Speaker Phone For VoIP, the Polycom Communicator has a number of buttons on the front of its casing including the Volume Up/Down, Mute, Skype launch and a Call key. The buttons are in the centre of the unit and are surrounded by a glowing LED ring which glows bright green when you are in the middle of a call. The buttons on the Communicator work in tandem with Skype which means you'll have to install the included drivers and software before you begin. Setting up the Polycom Communicator isn't as quick as we would have liked. New users are required to download software from a link provided on the installation disk and installation takes a few minutes.
The Polycom Communicator produces clear and crisp conversations with a minimum of echo, distortion and feedback. We were pleasantly surprised by its performance during testing and it can even be used as a speaker for other applications, such as music and games. We wouldn't recommend the latter if you want optimal sound quality (of course, nothing beats a good set of PC speakers), but it did perform better than we expected considering its prime use is a handsfree speakerphone. If you want privacy during calls, the Communicator also features a built-in stereo headset port.
Quality of service depends on a number of factors including your Internet connection and your PC's audio capabilities, but we were impressed with the Communicator. Our calls were as clear as a regular landline phone and our callers were unaware we were using VoIP. The Communicator includes 30 free minutes of SkypeOut calls and free Skype Voicemail for one month, as well as a carry case which makes it ideal for travelling.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Chips coming by June will herald the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Plume's 'routerless' mesh network blankets your home in Wi-Fi with an army of tiny pods
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router goes all the way to 11
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
- Telstra’s ‘Free Data Day” sets new record for mobile downloads
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- CCBusiness/Process AnalystNSW
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- CCNetwork ArchitectWA
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantACT
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectVIC
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)ACT
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- CCData Analyst - AutoHaulWA
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- FTPython DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW