- Sound and Clarity, Buttons, Wind-Up USB Cable Storage, Headphone Jack
- Price, Installation Process
If you need a VoIP speakerphone, this is an excellent choice.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The Polycom Communicator is a convenient VoIP speakerphone built specifically for Skype which provides full-duplex, two way telephone conversations via the Internet. While the design and performance are of a high calibre, it still barely justifies its hefty price tag.
The Communicator features an intelligent design that includes a fold out stand for optimum voice positioning. This stand doubles as a USB cable cover for storage. When opened, the rear of the Communicator is a handy wind up storage compartment for the USB cable. Of course, it's not as good as being wireless but this design adds a nice touch of convenience to the unit. A USB connection means the Communicator doesn't require any batteries or additional power sources to operate.
Unlike the NetComm V35 Portable USB Speaker Phone For VoIP, the Polycom Communicator has a number of buttons on the front of its casing including the Volume Up/Down, Mute, Skype launch and a Call key. The buttons are in the centre of the unit and are surrounded by a glowing LED ring which glows bright green when you are in the middle of a call. The buttons on the Communicator work in tandem with Skype which means you'll have to install the included drivers and software before you begin. Setting up the Polycom Communicator isn't as quick as we would have liked. New users are required to download software from a link provided on the installation disk and installation takes a few minutes.
The Polycom Communicator produces clear and crisp conversations with a minimum of echo, distortion and feedback. We were pleasantly surprised by its performance during testing and it can even be used as a speaker for other applications, such as music and games. We wouldn't recommend the latter if you want optimal sound quality (of course, nothing beats a good set of PC speakers), but it did perform better than we expected considering its prime use is a handsfree speakerphone. If you want privacy during calls, the Communicator also features a built-in stereo headset port.
Quality of service depends on a number of factors including your Internet connection and your PC's audio capabilities, but we were impressed with the Communicator. Our calls were as clear as a regular landline phone and our callers were unaware we were using VoIP. The Communicator includes 30 free minutes of SkypeOut calls and free Skype Voicemail for one month, as well as a carry case which makes it ideal for travelling.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Telstra’s ‘Free Data Day” sets new record for mobile downloads
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Consumers let down by broadband speed and performance: ACCAN
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Brand NEW IoT ProjectNSW
- CCFunctional & System Integration Test AnalystACT
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- FTBid Manager - Intelligent TechnologyVIC