Plantronics Voyager 855
- Stylish design, comfortable to wear for long periods, excellent incoming and outgoing audio for voice calls
- Sliding microphone open makes the headset feel loose, poor audio quality for music, small controls
Although it acts as a dual-function device, the Voyager 855 is best suited as a regular Bluetooth headset, providing excellent in-call audio quality. The detachable earpiece is a nice idea, but the small buttons and average sound quality diminish its appeal.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
A Bluetooth headset featuring a detachable earpiece cable, the Plantronics Voyager 855 is a dual-function device capable of making and receiving phone calls and streaming stereo Bluetooth audio.
The Voyager 855 consists of two parts – a Bluetooth headset and a detachable earpiece. If you are just using it for phone calls, then it acts as a regular headset. The sliding boom microphone means that voice quality is improved thanks to the microphone being close to your mouth. Conveniently, sliding the microphone also answers and ends calls but although the slider feels smooth, sliding it makes the earpiece feel loose in your ear – especially if you aren't wearing the ear hook.
The Voyager 855 features AudioIQ technology, a digital signal processing (DSP) feature that automatically adjusts sound levels depending on the level of outside noise. The result is clear, crisp, natural sounding audio – both incoming and outgoing audio is excellent. Our callers voice was clear and at notable volume, while callers didn't complain of any issues with outgoing voice.
The Voyager 855 is quite easy to use, with a single call handling button, volume controls and a dedicated mute button. Pressing and holding the call handling button puts the unit into pairing mode (denoted by the indicator light flashing red and blue) and once paired, functions are simple and easy. Press the call handling button or slide the boom microphone to answer a call and press it again or slide the boom closed to end the call. Additional functions include activating voice dialling (provided this is supported by your phone), transferring a call from the headset to your phone and muting the microphone.
The detachable earpiece looks like a regular ear bud, but it's attached to an ear hook via a cable. A small slot at the back of the headset connects the cable and automatically allows the Voyager 855 to stream wireless, stereo audio via A2DP. Unfortunately, the quality of audio streaming isn't anywhere near as impressive as call quality – sound is passable, but far from outstanding, with a lack of crispness and poor bass reproduction the main issues. We also found the controls a little small for music playback, especially the tiny mute button which is used to play and pause your music.
Aesthetically, this is one of the better looking Bluetooth headsets on the market. Although it's quite long (especially with the microphone opened), the gloss black and silver finish adds a touch of class. You can wear the headset without an ear hook, but we preferred the hook as it felt much more secure. The soft rubber ear buds means the Voyager 855 is comfortable to wear for long periods, and the package includes small, medium and large sized ear buds, in addition to an ear hook without the stereo ear bud.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Telstra restores mobile network after mass outage
- Amaysim wins with lowest TIO complaints
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- 7 smartphone trends to watch this year
- LG G5 to debut on February 21, going head-to-head with Galaxy S7
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTInternal Audit ConsultantACT
- CCWeb Content WriterSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NPPVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCOracle Developer - 3 month contractSA
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- CCMultiple Java rolesACT
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperQLD
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT