Plantronics M100 Bluetooth headset
Plantronics' M100 Bluetooth headset has a comfy design and convenient touches
- Provides estimated available battery life; Comfortable on the ear; iPhone battery gauge
- Lacks A2DP streaming support; Audio quality suffers mildly in noisy environments
Plantronics' M100 is a comfortable Bluetooth headset that strikes a pleasing balance between performance, design and price.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Finding a Bluetooth headset that fits snugly in the ear and feels comfortable to wear can be tricky. Fortunately, the Plantronics M100 satisfies on both counts. The M100 has other strengths, too; but a few weaknesses leave it in the middle of the pack.
Available with five different colour accents, the M100 distinguishes itself with a lightweight, svelte design. It weighs 9 grams, and comes with three different-size ear gels and an over-the-ear loop that feels comfortable and easy to place, despite being fairly rigid. The device is notably less obtrusive than some of Plantronics's previous offerings.
One point that impressed me: Upon sliding the power switch, the headset reports the number of hours of talk time left, and it appears to do so accurately. Plantronics rates the M100 at up to 6 hours of talk time and up to 10 days of standby time; plus, as the specs promise, I found it charged efficiently, requiring just 1.5 hours to achieve a full charge.
Plantronics positions, and prices, the headset in the middle of its lineup. As such, I wasn't surprised to find the audio quality good, but not knock–my–socks–off great. The headset has dual microphones and DSP (digital signal processor) noise cancellation. While callees were generally satisfied by the headset's clear audio, occasionally even the built-in wind-noise reduction and echo cancellation couldn't squash the background noise in places like a crowded restaurant. Moreover, while I was largely satisfied with the audio, I could sometimes perceive a hissing noise during calls.
The headset charges via a micro-USB port, and has volume and disengage buttons in addition to the power switch.
I liked how the headset paired quickly with Bluetooth–enabled phones, and particularly loved the iPhone battery gauge that popped up on-screen while the headset was paired with the phone. The various voice prompts were convenient, and the buttons were easy to feel by touch. I did find that to hang up a call, the headset pressed into my ear a bit more than I liked, but that's a minor gripe—especially considering that the headset felt comfortable in-ear for extended periods of time.
Some other Bluetooth headsets may have better audio quality, but its conveniences, long battery life, and comfortable fit--together with its reasonable price—make the M100 headset a solid choice, especially for iPhone users.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW
- CCSAP IS Retail Functional LeadVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Internet/ Intranet) 160902/SA/222Asia
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTBid Manager - Intelligent TechnologyVIC
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia