Plantronics M100 Bluetooth headset
Plantronics' M100 Bluetooth headset has a comfy design and convenient touches
- Provides estimated available battery life; Comfortable on the ear; iPhone battery gauge
- Lacks A2DP streaming support; Audio quality suffers mildly in noisy environments
Plantronics' M100 is a comfortable Bluetooth headset that strikes a pleasing balance between performance, design and price.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Finding a Bluetooth headset that fits snugly in the ear and feels comfortable to wear can be tricky. Fortunately, the Plantronics M100 satisfies on both counts. The M100 has other strengths, too; but a few weaknesses leave it in the middle of the pack.
Available with five different colour accents, the M100 distinguishes itself with a lightweight, svelte design. It weighs 9 grams, and comes with three different-size ear gels and an over-the-ear loop that feels comfortable and easy to place, despite being fairly rigid. The device is notably less obtrusive than some of Plantronics's previous offerings.
One point that impressed me: Upon sliding the power switch, the headset reports the number of hours of talk time left, and it appears to do so accurately. Plantronics rates the M100 at up to 6 hours of talk time and up to 10 days of standby time; plus, as the specs promise, I found it charged efficiently, requiring just 1.5 hours to achieve a full charge.
Plantronics positions, and prices, the headset in the middle of its lineup. As such, I wasn't surprised to find the audio quality good, but not knock–my–socks–off great. The headset has dual microphones and DSP (digital signal processor) noise cancellation. While callees were generally satisfied by the headset's clear audio, occasionally even the built-in wind-noise reduction and echo cancellation couldn't squash the background noise in places like a crowded restaurant. Moreover, while I was largely satisfied with the audio, I could sometimes perceive a hissing noise during calls.
The headset charges via a micro-USB port, and has volume and disengage buttons in addition to the power switch.
I liked how the headset paired quickly with Bluetooth–enabled phones, and particularly loved the iPhone battery gauge that popped up on-screen while the headset was paired with the phone. The various voice prompts were convenient, and the buttons were easy to feel by touch. I did find that to hang up a call, the headset pressed into my ear a bit more than I liked, but that's a minor gripe—especially considering that the headset felt comfortable in-ear for extended periods of time.
Some other Bluetooth headsets may have better audio quality, but its conveniences, long battery life, and comfortable fit--together with its reasonable price—make the M100 headset a solid choice, especially for iPhone users.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What iOS 10 can tell us about the new iPhone
- Rumor check: Everything we think we know about the Galaxy Note 7
- Windows 10 phones finally gain NFC payment support as Wallet 2.0 rolls out in preview
- Moto Mods for the Moto Z won't be cheap, with costs ranging from US$69 to US$299
- This custom-built case lets Android run on an iPhone
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCx2 AEM Frontend/UI DevelopersVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTJava DeveloperAsia
- CCBusiness Analyst - TravelNSW
- CCSystems Monitoring Specialist - Foglight focusNSW
- FTTechnical COE SpecialistACT
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCSoftware & Hardware Asset Management - 2 rolesNSW
- FTTechnical Services ManagerACT
- CCTenable Security - Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160629/AP/793Asia
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- CCSAP Financial Master DataACT
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional ArchitectNSW
- CCTechnology and Security ArchitectACT
- FTData Center Operator (1-Year Renewal Contract)Asia