Plantronics Gamecom 780 gaming headphones
These headphones have Dolby 7.1 surround sound
- Great sound for movies and games
- Bargain price
- Plastic finish
- No surround sound for Mac
The Gamecom 780 is a bargain of a headset at just £38 offering a cool retro design, comfort and Dolby 7.1 surround. Sound performance is great for games and movies, and almost as good for music. It's a shame the excellent surround sound feature isn’t compatible with Macs and the finish is a little on the plastic side.
Price$ 85.00 (AUD)
The Gamecom 780 is the latest gaming headset from Plantronics featuring a retro design and Dolby Digital virtual 7.1 surround sound.
This headset sells for just $85, making it a very affordable option and successor to the chunky Gamecom 777. The design has a retro-aviation look to it, with exposed cables running from the ear-pieces into the headband.
Unlike the Gamecom 777, the 780 has its controls mounted on the left earpiece instead of an in-line controller. At the front a glowing blue button toggles the Dolby enhancements, while the rear houses a volume rocker and microphone mute switch. Unfortunately the volume level can only be adjusted in pre-defined steps with each flick of the rocker - although we could always fine-tune the level suitably. The fold-down microphone is also attached to the left ear-piece.
The long 2m cable has a USB port at the end of it to plug into your PC or Mac. Unfortunately, the 7.1 surround sound only works for PC users — Mac users will only get stereo.
Both ear pieces swivel flat, should you want them to lie on your desk easier. We found the Gamecom 780 to be flexible and durable, although they are a little on the plastic side.
The Gamecom 780 looks like quite a bulky headset but is deceptively light. For this reason, as well as the large pads on the ear pieces and headband, we found comfort to be excellent. We were able to wear the headset for long periods of time without any bother, apart from getting slightly hot ears.
Sound quality was excellent with a clear and punchy detail for a range of uses. The PC software allows you to switch between tailored modes for music or games/movies. Although there's a mode for music this headset is aimed at gamers and doesn't pack the thumping bass that some might like for listening to music.
The virtual surround by Dolby provides that extra level of immersion when it comes to games and movies. We found it especially handy for spatial awareness in first person shooters like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
To round-off the good sound performance we found the quality of the microphone to be very good with vocals coming through clear to teammates online.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)WA
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCSOE EngineerACT
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- TPTechnical Support Resource-Skype for BusinessVIC
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC