Plantronics Explorer 370
A Bluetooth headset designed for extreme conditions.
- Water, dust and shock resistant; durable design; ease of use
- Large and bulky; volume buttons require a firm press; ear bud is uncomfortable
If you're looking for a Bluetooth headset that can withstand dust and water, then the Explorer 370 is for you.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Water, dust and shock resistance are not attributes you would normally associate with a Bluetooth headset. But that’s exactly what Plantronics has provided with its Explorer 370. IP54 rated to survive humidity, dust and water, the Explorer 370 is a headset that has been designed to take a harsh beating.
The Explorer 370 bucks the trend of recent Bluetooth headsets with a design that is much larger than we are used to seeing. Many of these devices are getting smaller and attempting to appeal to the fashion-conscious crowd, but the Explorer 370 has a tough, no-nonsense look. The rubber and plastic construction feels sturdy and solid, but if you are looking for something that doesn't stand out, then this isn't the headset for you.
Unlike many competing models, the Explorer 370's ear hook isn't detachable, but it's conveniently mounted on a small rotating panel, so it can be twisted 360 degrees and folded to either side. This means it can be worn on either the left or right ear. Perhaps the biggest annoyance is the ear bud — it is uncomfortably large and we struggled to maintain a good fit.
The Explorer 370's IP54 certification means it has been built to an international standard of protection against dust, accidental contact with water and shocks. We put it through its paces by splashing it with water while on a call and throwing it around the office like a football — it didn't skip a beat.
With only three buttons, the Explorer 370 is a breeze to pair and operate. A small LED on the front flashes blue, red and purple to denote the headset's status, while the controls are largely focussed around the call control button. A minor complaint is the fact that the volume controls require a very firm press to activate, which can be difficult while you are wearing the headset.
Outgoing audio quality is generally clear and volume is reasonable, but incoming audio, even at full volume, lacks punch. Plantronics claims to use an "innovative filter" that blocks wind, but both wind and background noise affected incoming audio.
Battery life is rated at up to seven hours' talk time and eight days' standby time. A microUSB AC charger is included in the sales package, along with a lanyard that allows you to hang the headset around your neck.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google's modular smartphone project sacrificed its original vision to move forward
- Android device updates: HTC 10 is getting stability fixes and preview 3 is headed to Android N
- Google I/O 2016: Every Android app – really – is coming to Chrome
- Zip! Pow! Google debuts Android Instant Apps that load without installation
- Nokia-branded Android phones will return to the market
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCIT Systems AnalystACT
- CCChange manager/Change LeadNSW
- CCBPM / Java DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCSecurity Administrative Support OfficerACT
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCSr Service ManagementACT
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCSystem AdmimistratorQLD
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - SAP HANAQLD
- CCWeb DeveloperACT
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 1610524/CCO/vmtAsia
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- FTFunctional Business Analyst Dynamic AXNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- FTDevOps SpecialistVIC
- CCRelease Manager, InfrastructureNSW
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD