Plantronics Explorer 370
A Bluetooth headset designed for extreme conditions.
- Water, dust and shock resistant; durable design; ease of use
- Large and bulky; volume buttons require a firm press; ear bud is uncomfortable
If you're looking for a Bluetooth headset that can withstand dust and water, then the Explorer 370 is for you.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
Water, dust and shock resistance are not attributes you would normally associate with a Bluetooth headset. But that’s exactly what Plantronics has provided with its Explorer 370. IP54 rated to survive humidity, dust and water, the Explorer 370 is a headset that has been designed to take a harsh beating.
The Explorer 370 bucks the trend of recent Bluetooth headsets with a design that is much larger than we are used to seeing. Many of these devices are getting smaller and attempting to appeal to the fashion-conscious crowd, but the Explorer 370 has a tough, no-nonsense look. The rubber and plastic construction feels sturdy and solid, but if you are looking for something that doesn't stand out, then this isn't the headset for you.
Unlike many competing models, the Explorer 370's ear hook isn't detachable, but it's conveniently mounted on a small rotating panel, so it can be twisted 360 degrees and folded to either side. This means it can be worn on either the left or right ear. Perhaps the biggest annoyance is the ear bud — it is uncomfortably large and we struggled to maintain a good fit.
The Explorer 370's IP54 certification means it has been built to an international standard of protection against dust, accidental contact with water and shocks. We put it through its paces by splashing it with water while on a call and throwing it around the office like a football — it didn't skip a beat.
With only three buttons, the Explorer 370 is a breeze to pair and operate. A small LED on the front flashes blue, red and purple to denote the headset's status, while the controls are largely focussed around the call control button. A minor complaint is the fact that the volume controls require a very firm press to activate, which can be difficult while you are wearing the headset.
Outgoing audio quality is generally clear and volume is reasonable, but incoming audio, even at full volume, lacks punch. Plantronics claims to use an "innovative filter" that blocks wind, but both wind and background noise affected incoming audio.
Battery life is rated at up to seven hours' talk time and eight days' standby time. A microUSB AC charger is included in the sales package, along with a lanyard that allows you to hang the headset around your neck.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCProject Coordinator (Paying $400-$450 per day)NSW
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- FTDesign and Engineering - Technical WriterWA
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/JBoss/SQL) 160831/AP/994Asia
- CCABAP DeveloperVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - Cloud computingAsia
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCImplementation and Deployment ManagerNSW
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- FTData AnalystsWA
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA