Plantronics Explorer 370
A Bluetooth headset designed for extreme conditions.
- Water, dust and shock resistant; durable design; ease of use
- Large and bulky; volume buttons require a firm press; ear bud is uncomfortable
If you're looking for a Bluetooth headset that can withstand dust and water, then the Explorer 370 is for you.
Price$ 89.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
Water, dust and shock resistance are not attributes you would normally associate with a Bluetooth headset. But that’s exactly what Plantronics has provided with its Explorer 370. IP54 rated to survive humidity, dust and water, the Explorer 370 is a headset that has been designed to take a harsh beating.
The Explorer 370 bucks the trend of recent Bluetooth headsets with a design that is much larger than we are used to seeing. Many of these devices are getting smaller and attempting to appeal to the fashion-conscious crowd, but the Explorer 370 has a tough, no-nonsense look. The rubber and plastic construction feels sturdy and solid, but if you are looking for something that doesn't stand out, then this isn't the headset for you.
Unlike many competing models, the Explorer 370's ear hook isn't detachable, but it's conveniently mounted on a small rotating panel, so it can be twisted 360 degrees and folded to either side. This means it can be worn on either the left or right ear. Perhaps the biggest annoyance is the ear bud — it is uncomfortably large and we struggled to maintain a good fit.
The Explorer 370's IP54 certification means it has been built to an international standard of protection against dust, accidental contact with water and shocks. We put it through its paces by splashing it with water while on a call and throwing it around the office like a football — it didn't skip a beat.
With only three buttons, the Explorer 370 is a breeze to pair and operate. A small LED on the front flashes blue, red and purple to denote the headset's status, while the controls are largely focussed around the call control button. A minor complaint is the fact that the volume controls require a very firm press to activate, which can be difficult while you are wearing the headset.
Outgoing audio quality is generally clear and volume is reasonable, but incoming audio, even at full volume, lacks punch. Plantronics claims to use an "innovative filter" that blocks wind, but both wind and background noise affected incoming audio.
Battery life is rated at up to seven hours' talk time and eight days' standby time. A microUSB AC charger is included in the sales package, along with a lanyard that allows you to hang the headset around your neck.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 2 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 3 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 4 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 5 TomTom Runner Cardio GPS watch
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Acer launches four Chrome devices under $400
- Google Nexus 9 pre-sales start at $479
- China again blames US for disrupted cybersecurity talks
- Is your Ethernet fast enough? Four new speeds are in the works
- Optus starts selling BlackBerry's squared Passport
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW