Plantronics .Audio 995 wireless headphones
These wireless headphones have good range and decent sound quality
- Good microphone, comfortable for on-ear headphones, good range and battery life
- No 3.5mm connection option, inferior sound to wired headphones
If you value mobility over sound quality, the Plantronics .Audio 995 wireless headset is a great option. We never experienced audio break-up, and the decent sound quality and good microphone made voice communication a breeze.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
Plantronics' .Audio 995 is a pair of wireless headphones that connect to a Windows or Mac OS computer via USB. This headset is comfortable to wear for long periods, with a clear microphone and decent sound quality making it well suited to voice chatting.
Following slightly different design cues to the Plantronics GameCom series, the .Audio 955 uses Plantronics' standard black plastic with silver accents for the ear-cups, while the head-band’s padding and ear-pads are covered in a soft, perforated faux-leather. It's not going to win any awards for the materials used in their construction, but this headset is nonetheless sturdy and well built.
The .Audio series misses out on the GameCom’s hidden microphone, but the boom mic automatically mutes when swung up out of the way. Sound from the microphone is clear enough for Skype calls and in-game voice chat — it would be passable for limited recording work although it’s no match for a dedicated setup.
The left ear-cup of the Plantronics .Audio 955 houses the power button, a USB port for charging the internal battery and four buttons for skipping tracks and volume control. Rather than altering the power level of the headphones, adjusting the volume changes Windows volume settings. With the headphones always at a specific volume, battery life is consistent with around 4 hours from a full charge.
The .Audio 995 headset is compatible with both Windows and recent versions of Mac OS. Installation is painless, with no proprietary software required; it takes under 30 seconds.
The range is as good if not better than other wireless headphones we’ve tested, functioning free of distortion or interference over 10 metres away from the USB dongle. The headphones will shut off after a short time if out of range of the receiver.
Sound quality is acceptable given the small on-ear design and wireless transmission format; a wired headphone jack would have helped us assess how much the wireless streaming affected sound. Bass and treble are slightly recessed, with mid-range being more audible and prominent. We suspect this is a conscious decision given the headset is bent towards voice communication — movie dialogue and voice chatting is certainly clear and detailed. The headphones are consistent in their audio reproduction even at higher volumes — in loud environments we were still able to hear voice and music in our testing.
Wireless headphones always carry a significant price premium, and the Plantronics .Audio 955 headset isn't any different. It's not unreasonably expensive, though. If you need a pair of efficient wireless headphones the Plantronics .Audio 955 is a good choice.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness Analyst | HealthcareQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTTest Analyst - HCMSNSW
- FTIT Security RolesACT
- FTSecurity AnalystACT
- CCIT Information Architect..VIC
- FTJava Team LeadVIC
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTProject ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCDocument ControllerNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTData Entry Administrator - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA
- FTSenior Process Specialist | ProcurementVIC
- CCSystems AdministratorNSW
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- TPPMO LeadNSW
- FTSCRUM Master / Project Manager, CX, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTIT Service Owner - Supply Chain TechnologiesNSW
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCNetworks Engineer - SecurityVIC