First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Pioneer Computers Australia DreamBook Slim 805
- Lightweight, high performance
- Poor battery life
This mid-sized widescreen has plenty of power and a sizable, speedy hard disk, and it's backed by a three-year warranty.
Price$ 2,099.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 5 stores)
The Centrino-based DreamBook's core specifications include Intel's Pentium M processor running at 1.7GHz, along with 512MB of DDR SDRAM, a 60GB Hitachi hard disk and a multiformat DVD writer drive.
The 128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics controller drives a 15.4" wide-screen LCD with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800.
The front fascia of the 805 is where the FireWire, audio jacks and multi-card reader are located, just near the lid latch and cursor touchpad.
On the left-hand side, you'll find a VGA-out connection for an external monitor, S-Video TV-output, PC Card slot (supporting one Type I/II card) and one USB slot. A 56Kbps modem, Ethernet connection and 802.11b/g wireless networking are also built-in.
The machine's back spine is quite bare with just two USB, power and Kensington lock ports, while the right-hand side simply features the optical drive.
One of this machine's greatest strengths is its slimline design and weight of just 2.9kg.
Battery life could have been better (62 minutes in our worst-case scenario tests) but application performance was outstanding. This is a strong all-rounder from Pioneer, backed up with a three-year warranty that includes on-site service.
Latest News Articles
- Twitter more than doubles its sales, stock soars
- BlackBerry focuses on security for the enterprise
- Oracle hits back at ex-employee's claims over in-memory database option
- Uber, Airbnb go after businesses
- Guns, vandals and thieves: Data shows US networks under attack
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 2 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 3 How to connect your iPhone to your TV
- 4 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 5 How to pick the right size TV for your living room
GGG Evaluation Team
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Notebooks View all »
- $126.12 free shipping
- 44% off $440
- 22% off $309
- Tablets View all »
- Desktop PCs View all »
- Servers & Storage View all »
- Software and Services View all »