- Highly 'future-proof', great audio quality, video upscaling, feature packed, full list of supported surround sound formats, excellent automatic calibration tool
A truly fantastic AV receiver, one sure to last for a long time to come, the LX60's only major drawback is its price.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
Pioneer's VSX-LX60 is the company's new, high-end AV receiver, designed primarily to take advantage of the new age of high definition. Sporting HDMI 1.3, 1080p upscaling, and full support for the new high-definition audio formats, the LX60 is supremely 'future-proof'. In addition to this, it also boasts excellent audio and video quality, and is Air Studios tuned and THX Select2 certified. It does come at a price, however, and like the rest of Pioneer's LX range, it's aimed specifically at high-end enthusiasts.
The LX60 drives 130W per channel through 7 channels at 8 ohms, making it a fairly powerful amplifier. With a total harmonic distortion of 0.09 per cent, it also delivers excellent fidelity. THX certified for rooms with viewing distances of up to approximately 4 metres, this receiver's audio capabilities are excellent. During our tests we were unable to detect any significant flaws at all, and the entire audio range was well represented and balanced. Clarity is excellent, even reaching up through the highest frequencies.
Video is equally as impressive, with full support for 1080/24p Blu-ray playback, which looks stunning. HDMI upscaling to 1080p is also present, and the quality improvements are very noticeable, with a definite improvement to clarity and definition.
The back panel is replete with more connections that you could shake an HDMI cable at. Three HDMI 1.3 inputs are present, as well as multiple component, coaxial, composite, optical, analogue audio, S-Video, and more. A single USB port for audio input is also available, as is an iPod-specific connection. Finally, cable hookups for up to seven speakers are available.
Pioneer has included a complete range of sound fields and audio codecs. In addition to a full range of Dolby and DTS formats, the LX60 is also capable of handling the new, lossless HD audio codecs, including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS HD.
The receiver also packs a fully fledged feature list. THX sound fields, sound retriever (which improves compressed audio quality, such as that in MP3s, WMAs, and OGGs), direct sound (which bypasses unnecessary steps to increase fidelity), and customisable speaker levels are all available.
Calibration is exceptionally easy thanks to the automated MCACC technology. In addition to simply calibrating speaker levels relative to the listening position (including both delay and sound 'pressure'), MCACC also attempts to customise the sound based on the listening environment and speaker size and bass capacity. We were highly impressed with the results of this during our testing, and even after hours of fiddling, we found we were unable to surpass the settings it selected.
The remote delivers standard universal remote functionality, allowing users to control other home entertainment products connected to the system. It's a little unwieldy however, and lacks backlighting, but otherwise it's quite functional and easy to use.
The LX60 is a fantastic receiver. It's highly 'future-proof', with HDMI 1.3 and support for the latest in surround sound technology, and as well as delivering excellent audio and video performance, and a huge bundle of features. A high asking price is its major drawback, but those that can afford it will appreciate its quality.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- CCSystems Specialist - Network Systems l Port MacquarieQLD
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- TPLevel 2-3 Helpdesk OfficerQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTIT Service Desk Manager - Team LeaderNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - BI, Analytics & Big DataNSW
- FTProject Manager- RiskSA
- TPBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCService Delivery Analyst -Port MacquarieNSW
- FTIT Security RolesACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTSAP APO ConsultantNSW
- TPLinux System AdministratorQLD
- CCICT Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTFront-end Developer (UX/UI)NSW
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTICT Relationship Manager - Service Delivery EnvironmentNSW
- FTSenior Sales Operations AnalystNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystQLD
- FTAudio Visual / Video Solution Architect | $100 p/hrVIC