- Great value, Very respectable sound quality, Neutral audio gives greater versatility in listening material, Simple and easy to use
- Lacks in-depth calibration options, neutral audio isn't suitable for users with specific viewing and listening tastes
A great entry-level home theatre, Pioneer's HTZ151DVD is an excellent option for newcomers, delivering everything you need to get into home theatre at a very affordable price
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Pioneer's HTZ151DVD home theatre system is a great entry-level product, including everything needed to experience 5.1 surround sound. It's a DVD player and receiver that comes with a 5.1-channel speaker system and its low price, simple features, neutral sound, and ease of setup and use make it an ideal product for newcomers to the home theatre scene. Although it lacks extensive calibration options and features, it nevertheless delivers great sound quality for a unit in its price range.
Audio performance on the HTZ151DVD is quite neutral, not emphasising either treble or bass, with a strong midrange making it a great option for most movies. Neutrality can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your point of view. If you want to be able to listen to a wide range of sources (eg action movies, drama movies, music, radio, etc) then a neutral system will generally handle them all respectably. On the other hand, if you watch a lot of movies or listen to a lot of music in a single genre, it can often be better to have a system that has a heavy emphasis on either bass (for thumping music, or action movies, for example) or treble (for classical or opera music, for example). Although the HTZ151DVD does handle both treble and bass well, without noticeable distortion either at below the 70 percent volume mark, it doesn't really deliver the excellent levels of performance in these areas that other units do (although this is generally at the expense of other areas).
One of the HTZ151DVD's biggest flaws, is that it really lacks the customisation options that a lot of home theatre systems (albeit generally more expensive ones) have. Sound quality does noticeably deteriorate at higher volumes, in bass and treble ranges, but there's enough power so that most users will be able to find a comfortable listening level before they start losing sound quality. Audio quality is generally respectable, and for a unit that's as affordable as this one, it's actually very good. The audio isn't exceptionally clear, but it's well defined and perfectly suitable for watching movies and listening to audio CDs.
Pioneer has kept things simple with calibration and features. Setting up the system is quick and easy, and simply involves positioning the five speakers, plugging them in, and then connecting the DVD player to your TV set. Individual speaker and subwoofer volumes can be adjusted by ten decibels either way, while bass and treble volumes can both be adjusted by three decibels either way - unfortunately not quite enough to satisfy our expectations, even for a system at this price. A variety of listening modes (action movie, drama movie, hall, rock, pop, etc) are available, and help to make what you're listening to sound a little better.
The unit's design is quite standard. It's silver and black, and is perfectly capable of matching most living room decors. Pioneer has taken care in the design and has made it suitable for users who only have limited space. The two surround (rear) speakers can be placed next to the front speakers at an outward angle, reflecting sound and creating the illusion of surround sound by bouncing off the walls. Whilst this didn't really recreate a perfect 5.1 setup in our tests, we nevertheless found it to be an excellent feature, and should be useful for users who don't have a large living room.
Overall, the HTZ151DVD home theatre is a fantastic value option for users who are new to home theatre and don't know where to start. It's affordable, simple, easy to setup and use, and delivers great sound quality without overemphasising one particular style of audio over another, giving users a good amount of variety to experiment with their system. If you're looking to get into the world of home theatres, or just want a good sounding unit at a great price, the HTZ151DVD is well-worth considering.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- FT.Net Azure DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- CCCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - AgileQLD
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- CCDesktop RolloutVIC
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW