- XP+ 15Mbps recording mode, 12x DVD writer, dual layer DVD-R compatible, excellent functionality
- No DVD+R support, limited connection options
The Pioneer 530H is an excellent recorder, bringing both ease of use and professionalism to the user. Some minor omissions prevent this recorder from realising its truly epic potential.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
Rather than focus on adding new features to the DVR530H, Pioneer has instead concentrated on improving quality, hard drive size, and recording speed. The DVR530H's copy and write speeds are lightning fast with its very impressive 12X speed DVD writer. It also has a 15Mbps recording mode.
With Pioneer's "one touch copy" button you can transfer recordings between hard drive and discs at the press of a button. For more versatility and control, however, you can use the standard copy feature, where you can set quality and edit the titles being copied.
Recording TV to the hard drive or DVD functions in exactly the same way as a VCR, with simple record/stop buttons that record the currently playing channel to whichever medium has been selected. The DVR530H comes with six quality modes for recording, ranging from the 15Mbps XP mode, which fills the 80GB hard drive in 18 hours, to the much lower quality Super Extended Play mode, which allows for up to 227 hours of footage to be recorded onto the hard drive. These modes can be selected via the remote or the on-screen menu system.
Timed recording, along with several other functions, can be found via the on-screen interface, which is clearly laid out and easy to navigate. Browsing and editing files is simple with Pioneer's practical menu design and large-buttoned remote. The 56-button remote may seem intimidating at first, due to the range of functions the DVR530H has. Some of the buttons are cramped a little close together, but overall it gives effective control over all elements in the device's arsenal.
The DVR530H has a slim build. The front panel sports a few basic buttons, an LED screen, and a status light that glows blue or orange, depending on whether the unit is in hard drive or DVD mode. The back panel offers multiple connection options, including AV, S-Video, component and composite outputs, as well as AV and S-Video inputs. A flip-down cover on the front panel reveals more AV inputs, as well as USB and DV (FireWire) connections. These can be used to transfer music, video and pictures to and from a PC or DV camera. Both the picture viewing mode and the music jukebox mode work perfectly well.
One other thing that impressed us was the quality of the operating instructions for the DVR530H. With over 100 pages of clearly written, well illustrated instructions, the manual is perhaps the most helpful we've come across. In addition to clearly and accurately describing how to use the device, the instructions offer information and explanations of important terms and concepts.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPMO Project Analytics and Tools ManagerNSW
- FTFront-end Developer (UX/UI)NSW
- FTPMO CoordinatorVIC
- FTSenior Functional Analyst - FinanceQLD
- FTApplication Services AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst Forecaster - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCProject Scheduler/CoordinatorVIC
- FTSenior IT Domain SpecialistVIC
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FTRisk and Quality ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead - FinTech - Product DevelopmentNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- CCSystems Administrator - Cloud, Azure and LinuxQLD
- FTSenior Process Specialist | ProcurementVIC
- CCSenior Policy OfficerNSW
- FTIT Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTProject AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- CCProject Manager - DigitalisationQLD
- CCSoftware Licencing SpecialistNSW
- FTTest AnalystACT
- FTHelpdesk AnalystNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD