- Fast transfer, high image quality, many features, intuitive interface
- Poor remote control design, slow channel switching
Its image quality is stellar, and its dubbing superfast. Aside from a cramped remote, there's little to complain about with this Pioneer.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
The more you archive video from this unit's 80GB hard drive to DVD-R, the happier you'll be that you bought it. With an 8X DVD recorder built-in, the Pioneer transferred movies to disc at a blistering rate during our tests.
But the Pioneer isn't only about speed. Its recording quality was outstanding, both in one-hour and six-hour modes. And it's packed with features, including a disc librarian for maintaining a history of your recordings (if you opt to enter disc information manually into the unit's memory), and an editor for trimming video and deleting commercials.
The DVR-520H-S's on-screen interface may not be the prettiest we've seen, but it is reasonably intuitive, offering a good combination of graphics and text. And I loved this model's convenient on-remote commercial skip, which lets you add 30-second increments to the skip time so that you can jump past up to 5 minutes' worth of commercials at once.
Although the Pioneer stands tall in most respects, I had a few gripes. I wasn't enthusiastic about the remote control's design, and the unit's inability to schedule daily or weekly recordings without employing VCR Plus+ codes is mystifying. In addition, as an avid channel surfer, I was unimpressed by the recorder's snail's-pace channel switching.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTBI Developer l Microstrategy , HadoopNSW
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXVIC
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)QLD
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW