- Fast transfer, high image quality, many features, intuitive interface
- Poor remote control design, slow channel switching
Its image quality is stellar, and its dubbing superfast. Aside from a cramped remote, there's little to complain about with this Pioneer.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The more you archive video from this unit's 80GB hard drive to DVD-R, the happier you'll be that you bought it. With an 8X DVD recorder built-in, the Pioneer transferred movies to disc at a blistering rate during our tests.
But the Pioneer isn't only about speed. Its recording quality was outstanding, both in one-hour and six-hour modes. And it's packed with features, including a disc librarian for maintaining a history of your recordings (if you opt to enter disc information manually into the unit's memory), and an editor for trimming video and deleting commercials.
The DVR-520H-S's on-screen interface may not be the prettiest we've seen, but it is reasonably intuitive, offering a good combination of graphics and text. And I loved this model's convenient on-remote commercial skip, which lets you add 30-second increments to the skip time so that you can jump past up to 5 minutes' worth of commercials at once.
Although the Pioneer stands tall in most respects, I had a few gripes. I wasn't enthusiastic about the remote control's design, and the unit's inability to schedule daily or weekly recordings without employing VCR Plus+ codes is mystifying. In addition, as an avid channel surfer, I was unimpressed by the recorder's snail's-pace channel switching.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSenior Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCDW/BI DeveloperACT
- FTDesktop Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCServiceNow Technical LeadNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- CCCrystal reports expertACT
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst with Product Management experienceVIC
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA
- CCProject Coordinator/ Jr Business Analyst- Govt backgroundNSW
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- CCSenior PHP Developer (12 month contract )VIC
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Back-end .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCGuidewire Developer - Policy Center 8NSW
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW