- Great quality Blu-ray and DVD playback, media streaming
- Very expensive
Ignoring price, this is probably the best Blu-ray player we've seen to date. If you're willing to pay a premium then it's an excellent product.
Price$ 1,799.00 (AUD)
Pioneer's BDP-LX70A is a high-end Blu-ray player, geared towards enthusiasts. As with other similarly high-end players, it attempts to distinguish itself through its audio features and performance, whilst maintaining the already high standard of video playback found on most Blu-ray players these days. Although it succeeds in both these tasks, it also comes with an RRP almost double that of some other players.
Video quality is of the standard that we've come to expect from Blu-ray. 1080p/24Hz support, along with customisable white and black levels and colour hues, allows users to experience Blu-ray to its fullest extent. Playback tended to be a lot smoother in our tests than it was with other players that we've seen, and lag is comparatively minimal when skipping chapters/titles .
DVD upscaling is just as good, with a noticeable improvement in quality – essential for DVD playback on most high-definition screens. Images are sharp and clear, and we didn't notice any image flaws or glitches in our tests. The LX70A should be capable of replacing all but the most high-end of DVD players in most home entertainment setups.
Audio is exceptional, with full support for DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD bit-stream output and support for 7.1 surround sound. With HDMI 1.3 it comes highly recommended for audio enthusiasts – it has the most impressive audio capabilities that we've seen in a Blu-ray player to date. Although most of the audio quality of the player is dependant upon the user having access to other, similarly high-end devices (such as an AV receiver and speakers), it nevertheless delivers great sound on its own, even through TV speakers.
The LX70A's design reflects its target market – it's solid and sturdy, ensuring the highest quality playback possible, with minimal vibration and high-quality components. It's still attractive enough, and the combination of neon blue lighting on the front panel's buttons and its deep black colouring should help it fit into most living room settings. The back panel contains a full range of connections, including HDMI 1.3.
In addition to its high quality Blu-ray and DVD playback, the LX70A also serves as a fully functional media streamer. The lack of wireless support is the only downside here, necessitating the use of Ethernet cables to connect the player to a PC. Apart from that however, the media streaming is highly functional and quite easy to setup and operate.
The biggest problem with the LX70A is ultimately its price. It's probably the best Blu-ray player we've seen so far, but at double the RRP of some other models, it's hard to justify. For the high-end enthusiasts this is an excellent player, and well worth the investment. For those who don't desperately need 7.1 PCM output, support for lossless surround sound, and media streaming though, an entry-level unit would probably suit better.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Project Manager - (Customer Platforms)NSW
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- TPTesting SpecialistQLD
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTSecurity Architect - Perth BasedQLD
- CCEngineer/Developer - Comptel - TelcoVIC
- TPAgile Project Manager. Lean ProductivityNSW
- TPProject Co-ordinatorNSW
- FTData Analyst - Tableau and Power BI suiteNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- TPSoftware Licensing SpecialistNSW
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- CCMaster Data Analyst - SAPNSW
- FTProject AnalystNSW
- FTReporting DeveloperSA
- TPSystem AdministratorQLD
- FTTelecommunications Provisioning LeadQLD
- FTTechnical SpecialistACT
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)ACT
- CCSystems Specialist - Network Systems l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- FTAudio Visual / Video Solution Architect | $100 p/hrVIC