Pioneer BDP-LX54 3D Blu-ray player (preview)
This 3D Blu-ray player can be controlled by an iPhone, and has a scratchproof design
- Looks awesome, full suite of 3D playback gizmos, it's armoured!
- It's $100 more expensive than the BDP-430 - for what?
The Pioneer BDP-LX54 is part of Pioneer's luxury range, and it looks the part. It's pricier than the BDP-430, but if styling and flashy lights are your thing the BDP-LX54 is a definite pleaser.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The newly-announced Pioneer BDP-LX54 joins the Pioneer BDP-430 in Panasonic's 3D Blu-ray line-up. The company doesn't have any other 3D products — after 2009's ups and downs, it doesn't even have any plasma TVs. The BDP-LX54 is the top model, and it's almost identical to the cheaper BDP-430. So what's the extra $100 for?
To be honest, a lot of the price is probably made up with Pioneer's LX tax. The luxury line of products are styled similarly with high quality materials, so you can match your home theatre components to each other. Pioneer says the BDP-LX54 has an 'armoured chassis', so you might even be able to take it through a war zone. The rest of your Nellie Melba goes to pay for gold-plated terminals and a funky blue backlight.
Like the BDP-430, the Pioneer BDP-LX54 can be controlled via an iPhone through Pioneer's iControlAV app. This is a cool feature that iPhone junkies will love, and competitors like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and LG are sorely lacking.
We'll get our hands on the BDP-LX54 soon and give it a full run-through.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Google's 4K HDR Chromecast Ultra costs US$69, and will launch in November
- Xiaomi's 4K-capable Mi Box is the most affordable Android TV device yet
- Amazon's faster new Fire TV Stick comes with an Alexa-enabled voice remote
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT roleNSW
- CCContract Senior IT Assistant (Lotus Notes) 161101/SITA/571Asia
- FTiOS Developer - PermanentWA
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportWA
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTSolution Architect - Application IntegrationQLD
- CCWorkplace Design LeadNSW
- CCProject SchedulerWA
- TPICT Security SpecialistQLD
- TPGIS OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Capital TradingNSW
- CCEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- FTRelease CoordinatorACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCFront End Developer with Django or Rails exp.NSW
- CCApplication Performance Test Lead/ArchitectQLD
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Services EngineerNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCSAP BPC Developer - MelbourneVIC
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team LeadNSW
- TPAndroid Developer | Tech Start-UpNSW
- CCHuman Sciences Professional - DefenceNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst | GovernmentQLD