Pioneer BDP-430 3D Blu-ray player
Pioneer BDP-430 review: Pioneer's first 3D Blu-ray player is a solid performer with no real surprises
- Plays both 2D and 3D Blu-ray discs perfectly, reasonably quick start-up times
- Not as diverse a range of online services as LG or Samsung Blu-ray players
Pioneer's BDP-430 Blu-ray player is a solid unit. It's can play 3D Blu-ray movies and is also able to connect to the Net and watch YouTube videos and access BD-Live content. It's not as versatile as the feature-packed Samsung BD-C6900 or Sony BDPS-470, but what it does, it does well.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Pioneer BDP-430 is a Blu-ray disc player that can play 3D movies as well as normal 2D content with aplomb, and YouTube access will be offered via a future firmware update. Sadly its Internet-based features are limited when compared to media powerhouses like the Samsung BD-C6900 and Sony BDP-S470.
Pioneer BDP-430: Design and features
The Pioneer BDP-430 is a satin black that should look good alongside a plasma or LCD television, and its screen is bright and can easily be seen from across a room.
The Pioneer BDP-430 supports BD-Live, as do most other Blu-ray players on the market. Once you've plugged it into your home network via Ethernet (a wireless adapter is also available), you can plug in a USB memory key and access the interactive features of Blu-ray discs. Also set to be available via a future firmware update is YouTube access — making it easy to call up a video clip or two if the Blu-ray movie you're watching is getting boring.
The Pioneer BDP-430 doesn't have the same comprehensive set of online features as players you find on Blu-ray players from competing brands like Sony, Samsung and LG. All of these manufacturers have much more diverse and well-established online features like video-on-demand streaming via BigPond Movies or application libraries, so if you're looking for a multipurpose media player they may be a better choice.
Pioneer BDP-430: Start-up speed, performance and reliability
The Pioneer BDP-430 takes around 30 seconds to hit a Blu-ray movie's root menu from a cold start, but if you're just changing discs this figure can fall to around 15 seconds. Navigating menus is easy; the remote is clearly laid out and has buttons for every conceivable feature you'd need to access. It can also control simple functions like power, volume, input and channel for the television that's connected to the Blu-ray player through HDMI. The same is true for any Pioneer A/V receiver that you've got connected.
We did our testing with a Panasonic TH-L37D25A, but also gave 3D a quick run on the Sharp LC52LE820X 3D LED TV. The picture quality of the Pioneer BDP-430 looked no worse or better than we've seen from every other Blu-ray player — if there are differences in the signal processing or in the quality of the components, you won't see it with an everyday plasma or LED television.
Pioneer BDP-430: Conclusion
The Pioneer BDP-430 Blu-ray player is a competent player. It's not especially versatile or packed with features, but it does a good job when it comes to playing Blu-ray movies.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTCisco IP Telephony EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCProject Services CoordinatorACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCCommunication LeadVIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW