Pioneer BDC-S02 (pre-production model)
- Does a good job of playing back Blu-ray titles
- Slow DVD burn speeds
Provided you have the right setup, the Pioneer will make a good job of Blu-ray movie playback. But even given the significant savings over buying a Blu-ray writer, this is still an expensive proposition.
Price$ 479.00 (AUD)
It's not surprising that Blu-ray has become one of the most sought-after technologies in the IT world. With up to 50GB of space, its potential for storing huge video files (among other things) makes it a must-have for movie enthusiasts. The price of a Blu-ray drive for your PC is currently prohibitive. But there's another way.
This Pioneer pre-production model offers facilities similar to those on a standard DVD writer - with the additional bonus of Blu-ray playback. You can't record to Blu-ray media, but you can use the drive to view high-definition movies.
Of course, when we say the facilities are similar to a standard DVD writer, we mean quite an old one. With DVD-R/+R topping out at 12-speed and the double-layer alternatives stuck at a miserable quad-speed, the BDC-S02 isn't the fastest of drives.
But this is to miss the point. These speeds are enough for many users, and you get the ability to play Blu-ray. Provided, that is, you have a good PC. You'll need to check you have an HDCP-compliant screen and graphics card. Another thing you need to check before you buy is that it comes with software -- buy an OEM version of the drive and you might regret it later.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
- Seagate drops the world's largest tiny hard drive
- Review: ADATA’s waterproof SSD is small, rugged -- and pricey
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- Samsung's 960 Pro and 960 Evo SSDs marry crazy-fast speeds with roomy capacity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161017/ITA/742Asia
- FTDigital Optimisation and Analytics SpecialistNSW
- CCData Centre EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCJava Developers - Federal Government experienceNSW
- CCTest Engineer - .NETNSW
- FTData AnalystNSW
- FTSoftware Developers - .Net 4.6NSW
- FTSalesforce Subject Matter ExpertNSW
- FTCRM Developer - MS Dynamics CRMNSW
- FTIncident & Problem AnalystVIC
- CCUnix Project LeadNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- FTSoftware Development ManagerNSW
- CCSAP GRC consultant with ABAP experience . Canberra LocationNSW
- CCNetwork Designer/ConsultantVIC
- CCICT Project Reporting Planning CoordinatorNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Engineer - Checkpoint, Firewalls, VPNNSW
- CCQA Test Lead- Digital, Mobile, UX, AGILE, CloudNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 161031/AP/512Asia
- CCSenior Security EngineerNSW
- CCTechnology TrainerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW