Pioneer BDC-S02 (pre-production model)
- Does a good job of playing back Blu-ray titles
- Slow DVD burn speeds
Provided you have the right setup, the Pioneer will make a good job of Blu-ray movie playback. But even given the significant savings over buying a Blu-ray writer, this is still an expensive proposition.
Price$ 479.00 (AUD)
It's not surprising that Blu-ray has become one of the most sought-after technologies in the IT world. With up to 50GB of space, its potential for storing huge video files (among other things) makes it a must-have for movie enthusiasts. The price of a Blu-ray drive for your PC is currently prohibitive. But there's another way.
This Pioneer pre-production model offers facilities similar to those on a standard DVD writer - with the additional bonus of Blu-ray playback. You can't record to Blu-ray media, but you can use the drive to view high-definition movies.
Of course, when we say the facilities are similar to a standard DVD writer, we mean quite an old one. With DVD-R/+R topping out at 12-speed and the double-layer alternatives stuck at a miserable quad-speed, the BDC-S02 isn't the fastest of drives.
But this is to miss the point. These speeds are enough for many users, and you get the ability to play Blu-ray. Provided, that is, you have a good PC. You'll need to check you have an HDCP-compliant screen and graphics card. Another thing you need to check before you buy is that it comes with software -- buy an OEM version of the drive and you might regret it later.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- CCOracle Fusion SOA/BPEL DeveloperVIC
- CCAccess Control Administration / Help desk OperatorACT
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- FTRelease Planning LeadVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160520/AP/985Asia
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSoftware DeveloperSA
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst (Sharepoint, CRM, MS Dynamics)ACT
- CCTechnical System Engineer (Linux/Mobile/SQL)160524/TSE/vmtAsia
- CCJunior / Mid Level Java Developer - Developing Restful Microservice SolutionsVIC
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160606/AP/251Asia
- FTSenior Systems EngineerACT