Pinnacle Video Transfer
- Lets you copy a video source to any USB 2.0 mass storage device, without the need for a PC
- It isn't portable, you can't program it to record video at a set time from a set channel
The Pinnacle Video Transfer is a cute unit that's elegant at transferring analogue video to a USB storage device but thoughts of recording late night TV before an early flight are fantasies because you'll have to be there, recording. You may as well record TV to a PC and encode later, while you shower in the morning.
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
Pinnacle Video Transfer lets you copy a video source to any USB 2.0 mass storage device, without the need for a PC. But that's all it does.
Not everyone enjoys being presented with an old family video at get-togethers, particularly when everyone in the room has all eyes on the TV showing that 25-year old clip of you being potty trained.
However, by investing $249.95 on just such a problem, you can hook up your relatives' VCR through either S-Video or composite connections and encode VHS footage directly to a digital video iPod, PlayStation Portable (PSP) or other USB storage device – conveniently drawing the conversation away from the embarrassing scenes on the TV.
The Pinnacle Video Transfer unit lets you copy a video source to any USB 2.0 mass storage device, without the need for a PC.
Pinnacle Video Transfer automatically detects when it's plugged into a USB storage device and once it's receiving a video signal, its retro-style LEDs light up blue and you are ready to press Record to transfer the video.
Video quality can be set to 320x240 at 512 kilobits per second (Kbps), or up to 720x574 at 1.5 megabits per second (Mbps) and the quality produced by the Pinnacle Video Transfer is excellent.
We even outputted a Sony Cybershot camera to a PSP and, in effect, built our own impromptu digital video camera with the PSP acting as an external storage device and widescreen viewer. The Pinnacle Video Transfer unit really couldn't be easier to use, but it's only for very specific uses.
You'll need access to a mains power supply, so despite the Pinnacle Video Transfer unit's size it isn't portable and you can't program it to record video at a set time from a set channel – so you'll have to be there when it records from your chosen source.
Pinnacle Video Transfer accepts stereo inputs, but you can't encode sound directly to MP3 so you can't use it to digitise your record collection even though that's something it could theoretically do without issues.
All Pinnacle Video Transfer does is encode and transfer analogue video and, as the manual says, you just 'Press and Go'. Laptop owners would be advised to add S-Video or digital TV input functionality to their computers at a cheaper price.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTPresales Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCIT Solutions ArchitectQLD
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- FTData AnalystQLD
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- CCSalesforce - Functional Analyst (BA)NSW
- FTStorage Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 requiredSA
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD