Pinnacle Studio HD 14
Pinnacle Studio HD 14 is a consumer-level video editing program, designed for home videographers
- Good free online tutorials, wide range of export options, Project Bin, effects copying
- May be difficult for novices to learn, no Motion Tracking feature
Pinnacle Studio HD 14 will require that you invest some time in learning to use the program, but the result will be professional-looking movies that you can be proud to share.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Unlike Adobe Premiere Elements, Pinnacle is more rooted in traditional video editing methods used to produce professional-quality movies. Pinnacle offers deeper features for import, customisation, and export that will likely make it significantly more difficult for the novice to learn and use, but its free online tutorials are excellent at getting you jump-started.
While the partially redesigned interface is cleaner, Pinnacle Studio HD 14 still has the three tab steps found in earlier versions, which are slightly renamed to Import, Edit, and Make Movie.
The Import tab displays thumbnails of supported media files in all attached external drives and devices, such as a memory card, DVD player, Blu-ray drive, USB drive, mobile phone, or digital camera.
The Edit window has the feeling of a more professional program, thanks in large part to a new gray, neutral background. A more important change is that the old pages format has been replaced by an album structure with a scroll bar, which is much more efficient for finding your clips, photos, and other elements for your movie. For further assistance in navigation and helping to find assets, you can now set specific folders as Favorites within Pinnacle, and you also have direct access to Windows Explorer from within the program.
At the bottom of the Edit window is the Timeline, for mixing the various elements of your movie (you can also view your project in Storyboard format). Clicking on an icon lets you access Videos, Transitions, Montage themes, Titles, Photos and Frame Grabs, Sound Effects, and Menus. As with previous versions, simply select any asset among these categories, and drag-and-drop it into the Timeline. Pinnacle's tools for adjusting length, order, and relationship of the various objects are standard.
The new Project Bin, also found in the Edit window, is a place where you can add all the assets you may want to use in your project. It's a useful organisational tool, but it is hidden under a tiny icon over the Timeline and may be overlooked by many users.
Other additions include a basic, but long-overdue, tool that lets you copy effects from one clip in a movie project to another. Photo quality (of stills incorporated into your movies) is improved. In addition, a new Stabilize effect will ameliorate or eliminate camera shake, though even experienced users may need to do some experimentation to find just the right settings.
New DVD menus have been added. And the Montages feature - which gives you the ability to combine videos and photos into frame designs (such as an animated photo book or an overlay roll of videos and photos) - has new templates, greater flexibility with fonts, and other improved tools.
The wide range of export options (DVD, AVCHD, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, SVCD, Flash file, AVI, Windows Media, the various MPEGs, and many others) now include partial export of a project, plus presets for MP3, PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox, as well as a new Best Quality option for YouTube uploads. You can also create and record your project at 24 frames per second for more-professional output.
Unfortunately, our favourite new Pinnacle Studio feature isn't included with Pinnacle Studio HD 14. Motion Tracking - the comparatively easy-to-use, but powerful feature for animated text effects - is available only in the more-expensive Ultimate and Ultimate Collection editions. Other features only in Ultimate and Ultimate Collection include keyframable effects, Blu-ray authoring with motion menus, and Dolby 5.1 audio, plus a few plug-ins. Ultimate Collection adds green-screen backdrops as well as some additional plug-ins.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- LastPass is scrambling to fix another serious vulnerability
- New Google Home partnerships expand the smart speaker’s footprint in the smart home
- If Google Assistant isn't your thing, you can now talk to Cortana on the lock screen
- Razer’s updated Blade Pro is the first ever THX-certified laptop
- 10 powerful, obscure Windows keyboard shortcuts you should know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTFinancial AnalystNSW
- CCDevelopment Lead - Java - TelcoVIC
- FTJunior DevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- CCIT SharePoint SpecialistNSW
- TPSAP Data Migration LeadQLD
- FTChief Architect - Principal ArchitectVIC
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Drupal Developer / ArchitectQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- FTNetwork Engineer - Cisco VoiceWA
- CCOracle Middleware Production SupportACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - ForecastingNSW
- FTSnr Security Architect - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTInside Sales Consultants - SMSF SoftwareNSW
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- CCOracle WebLogic AdministratorNSW
- FTETL Informatica DeveloperNSW
- FTFull Stack Web DeveloperNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTInternal Recruitment | $36phVIC