Pinnacle ShowCenter 200
- Handy as a go-between
- No hard drive
The Pinnacle ShowCenter 200 serves as a useful conduit to stream content you've downloaded onto your PC into the comfort of your lounge room.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
It's all very well using your PC to download album after album, stream music videos and film trailers, but it's not quite as nice as putting your feet up in the front room.
Enter the ShowCenter 200, which forms a physical connection with your TV and/or stereo so you can play music you've downloaded from an online store or are streaming over a broadband connection.
There's the further option of adding the ShowCenter to an existing Wi-Fi network, and Pinnacle provides a screw-in antenna to effect this. Unfortunately, going wireless gives you fewer options when positioning the box, and you might not be able to tuck it away somewhere inconspicuous.
Whether you opt for an Ethernet or Wi-Fi partnering, setting up the ShowCenter isn't totally straightforward, but it's not especially tricky, either. First, you must install the software and ensure your network is set up for printer and file sharing - the software explains how to go about this. Then it's a simple matter of attaching the cables.
The ShowCenter software is the critical bit. It provides easy access to your content via its Media Manager, plus plenty of control over how music and video files are handled - and a remote control for the full couch potato effect. You can specify MP3 imports of qualities ranging from 96Kb to 320Kb, with the default being 192Kb.
If you've got a TV tuner card, it'll play the resulting files and, looking to the future, it offers support for HDTV (high-definition TV).
The ShowCenter has no hard disk and doesn't store any content; it's merely a central connection point. Depending on the physical layout of your home, it could prove a useful go-between for the music, photos and video stored on your PC that you'd rather enjoy from the comfort of your sofa on a nice large TV screen and with proper speakers.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- TP.Net Software DeveloperQLD
- FTDatabase Administrator - OracleQLD
- FTPolicy & Programme OfficerACT
- TPAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- FTApplication Security SpecialistVIC
- FTSAP Data Migration SpecialistACT
- FTDevOps - Web AdministratorQLD
- FTSenior BANSW
- FTSCOM Monitoring and Alerting SpecialistNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Reports EditorQLD
- CCChange LeadNSW
- FTSenior Test AnalystSA
- CCITCM EngineerNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTAgile Project ManagerACT
- FTResponsive Design Developer, Frontend, PHP, WordpressNSW
- TPProcess Business Analyst - Digital InnovationNSW
- TPSenior Software DeveloperQLD
- CCTest Manager OfficeACT
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- FTICT Business Development Manager - Technical Products/SolutionsQLD