Pinnacle Liquid 6
Definitely the most powerful integrated video editing package available at this price, but still a tough challenge for the newcomer
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Liquid Edition 6 is Pinnacle's video editing package for the studio professional or serious video hobbyist. Although undeniably powerful, it's previously been criticised for poor usability but Pinnacle has taken steps to improve this situation by (finally) adding a Windows-like interface option to help ease the learning curve a little.
As far as the features are concerned, there are some exciting new additions to an already impressive list. The first of these is support for high-definition video (HDV) right out of the box; though you'll need a gutsy PC to even consider using this feature (2.8GHz for 720p, and dual 3GHz for 1080i HDV). Thanks to SmartEdit, standard definition content can be mixed with HDV on the timeline, as well as varying codecs and broadcast standards, while SmartRT still allows you to split the effects processing workload between your CPU and your graphics card for real-time previews.
Also new is the excellent new Multicam feature, which lets you switch between up to 16 synchronised camera sources, building on the timecode synchronisation feature of previous versions.
Collaborative workers will appreciate tools like network communication and storage, and tools like Xsend which lets you dump projects out to external applications with minimum fuss. Individual users will appreciate the task wizards and support for Pinnacle Studio projects, while both will benefit from InstantSave and background rendering - two of Liquid Edition's best features.
Admittedly, it's still a challenge to get to grips with, and the integrated DVD authoring isn't as advanced as some discrete editors, but there's nothing on the market that offers such a range of features for this kind of money.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- New Windows 10 Mobile preview adds handy web features, but kills Wi-Fi Sense
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- FTHadoop Operation EngineerNSW
- FTPega Operation Engineer - CEPNSW
- CCScrum MasterACT
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCOracle Applications Team LeadNSW
- CCApplication System EngineerACT
- CCTechnical Business Analyst, SuperannuationNSW
- CCiOS Developer x 2NSW
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- FTSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- FTSenior Java Developer / Technical LeadACT
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- FTJunior Web Developer | CBD | Digital AgencyVIC
- CCTechnical WriterNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperSA
- CCChange Manager - SAP FinanceNSW