- Sonic Vibes System--force feedback for your ears
- Audio a little flat, not entirely comfortable
Interesting headphones designed specifically for gamers. Imperfect highest audio quality compensated for by an interesting force feedback system.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
Designed specifically for the console or PC gamer, Philips' SHG8050 headphones have some unique features designed specifically to make game audio that much more interesting. These are the headphones that you take to LAN parties, to jack the volume up to max while blowing away your friends in Counter Strike.
The most unusual thing about these headphones is what Philips calls the "Sonic Vibes System". This is effectively a force feedback for your ears--it makes the headphones vibrate whenever low-pitch, high-volume sounds are due to appear. It a weird effect, a little ticklish, and mostly unsuitable for listening to music. When playing action games, or watching action movies (especially with lots of explosions), the effect wasn't at all bad--a little strange, but something that one could get used to.
For the Sonic Vibes System to work, the headphones require the use of a single AAA battery. Unfortunately, the headphones don't work at all without the battery, but you can effectively turn the Sonic Vibes down when your ears can't take it anymore. There's also an integral volume control.
Sadly, we didn't find the headphones all that comfortable. They're lightweight, and you'll hardly know that they're on top of your head, but rather than closed cups they have flat pads that squash ears rather than fit around them. The audio quality of the headphones was not earth shattering, but it would be suitable for all but the most discerning headphone buyers. The bass and treble were a little flat, but the Sonic Vibes System can sometimes make you forget about the slightly flat bass.
The headphones fold up and slip into the compact supplied carry pouch, making for easy transport when you want to take them to a friend's place.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPSenior Node.JS DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Infrastructure ProjectQLD
- CCData AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTC# / ASP.NET DeveloperSA
- CCSalesforce Functional AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTGraduate Software EngineerNSW
- FTSCCM AdministratorACT
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCAutomation Developer - LinuxNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCDigital Business ArchitectACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - General InsuranceNSW
- CCITCM EngineerNSW
- FTPMO CoordinatorNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTTest AdvertSA
- TPProgram ArchitectQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTInfrastructure Analyst - Storage & Backup SystemsNSW
- FTImplementation LeadVIC
- FTAssociate Consultant - IT Project ServicesVIC