IEM headphones with an impressive soundstage
- Small and comfortable, brilliant soundstage, deep bass extension
- Highs are a little boring
An attractive pair of entry-level IEMs, the Philips SHE9800 headphones won't blow away audio enthusiasts, but their sound is relatively well balanced and the wide sound stage is excellent.
Sitting at a very attractive price point, the Philips SHE9800 in-ear headphones are a fairly decent option for those looking for a low-cost pair of IEMs (in-ear monitors). Their sound is quite bass heavy but it is relatively well balanced, and the soundstage is excellent considering the size and cost of the product.
As with all other IEMs, these headphones are pretty tiny. Unlike some competing units, they aren't designed to hook over the ear, but rather they just rest in the ear canal. The small, minimalist design ensures they stay put nicely. We found them comfortable for long listening sessions and easy to insert. The default tip size fitted perfectly, but several sizes are contained in the package.
They don't isolate nearly as well as more expensive IEMs, largely because they don't achieve a proper seal with the ear canal. This makes for a more comfortable fit but means external sound isn't blocked out as well. The SHE9800s did a good job in fairly quiet environments, but loud ambient noise did begin to creep through in during softer passages of music.
Overall the sound was pretty good considering the price. The mid-range wasn't particularly rich but it was detailed and quite smooth. Everything flowed together nicely and gelled well, while at the same time sounding visceral. Guitar strings had a slightly metallic tone.
Bass was notably deep and quite powerful. It did sound somewhat hollow at times, but it wasn't bloated or distorted at all. We found this contributed to a relatively fun, fast-paced sound that should suit speedy music nicely.
Treble notes, on the other hand, were unremarkable. There wasn't much wrong with them, but they were a little dull and somewhat rolled off. We found piano and high-pitched acoustic tunes sounded fine but not as engrossing as we'd have liked.
The really impressive thing about the sound from the SHE9800 headphones was the soundstage. With specifically designed and angled microdrivers, these headphones are designed to provide an incredibly wide, deep presentation and they certainly live up to the hype. Small headphones often struggle to produce an engrossing soundstage, but the SHE9800 headphones have no such issues and are one of the most immersive pairs we've listened to. They definitely outdo anything else at this price point.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
- Intel CEO points toward wearable future with 'smart earbud', smartwatch
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)WA
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTFull Stack PHP Developer - Focus on Front EndQLD
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- CCSystems Engineer (Infra)NSW
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- FTIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager x 2QLD
- CCProject Coordinator l Large Media Capital Investment ProgramNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect l Practice Manager - Archimate 3.0, eTOMNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD