- Decent sound quality, small comfortable design
- A little flat in the mid range
Philips' SHE9700 offers a good option for people looking to try their first IEM. While audiophiles won't be impressed, less discerning listeners will appreciate the small comfortable design and good quality audio.
It seems like everybody is jumping on the IEM (In Ear Monitor) bandwagon. Originally the domain of only high-end, specialist headphone manufacturers belonged to companies like Shure and now, in more recent times, we've seen IEMs hit the market from mainstream companies like Sony. Now Philips has joined the party with their SHE9700. Offering good but not exceptional sound quality, the SHE9700 will suit people after a small, portable, bass-heavy headphone solution.
In our tests, the SHE9700 produced good quality audio, although it was definitely on the bass-heavy side. The low range was extremely prominent, reverberating strongly and dominating the music. As it was quite slow, it came across as bloated at times but with a little equalisation this can be corrected to some degree.
The mid range was smooth but not as lively as we'd like. It came across as a little harsh at times, but there was excellent separation and detail. Meanwhile the highs were rich, but there was harshness present in the mid range.
The soundstage was somewhat flat, but still did a good job of immersing us in our music. Overall, the prevalence of bass means the SHE9700 is probably best suited to music styles such as hip hop, dance and electronica. Our guitar driven tunes tended to suffer a little from the extremely prominent low register.
All IEMs are relatively small and this one in particular is even tinier than the norm. This makes it an ideal companion for your iPod or other portable music player. SHE9700 slides very deeply into your ear canal but are comfortable even after long listening sessions. Several different tips are provided for the SHE9700, allowing you to tailor their fit to the shape of your ear.
Another feature making it ideal for portable use is the noise cancelling properties. While it has no active noise cancelling technology, the fact that it slides into the ear canal and form a seal with the ear drum means that most external sound is blocked out. When you have the SHE9700 in and playing music at a reasonable volume it is difficult to hear much else. This makes them ideal for use on busy public transport or to block out irritating co-workers in the office.
They are well constructed for the most part although the cable is a little short. An extension adapter is included in the box which helps, but we'd still like to see a few extra centimetres of length for particularly tall users.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)VIC
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- FTERP Data Migration Consultant - Software Company - Permanent - SydneyNSW
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- CCSharepoint Business AnalystACT
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- TPIT Project ManagerNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD