- Relatively compact, good remote control, car holder
- Below average sound and picture quality
The PET710 suffers from a lack of image and sound quality, although the car seat holder and the car charger adapter are handy for car travel.
Price$ 449.95 (AUD)
The Philips PET710 is a compact portable DVD player that should appeal to people who travel frequently, but when it comes to the crunch, it's let down by average image and sound quality.
Measuring 161 x 193 x 30mm, the PET710 features a 7" TFT screen with a resolution of 480 x 234, and like most of the current portable DVD range, it has a clamshell design.
Flip open the unit and on the top side is the screen, which, strangely, is not positioned in the centre of the device. We can't help but feel the screen could have been much larger and wider, with all the space around and below it. On the bottom side is the DVD drive and to the right are the navigational controls, which are easy to use.
On the left side of the unit is the power button and over on the right side is support for DC in, digital audio output via coaxial cable, RCA video out and audio out, two headphone jacks (so two people can share the device) and the volume control.
The unit plays back DVD, DVD-RW, DVD+R, Picture CD, SVCD and Video CD. It also doubles as a music player, with support for CD, CD-R, CD-RW and MP3-CD, but our testing showed the sound quality was poor and the volume through the integrated speaker was too low.
Video playback quality was average with the image not as crisp and bright as expected and the contrast was low, even when adjusted. Overall the picture quality was quite dark and at times blurry, although the unit remained stable when it was moved from one location to another while playing a DVD.
The PET710 ships with a very good remote control and all features (except opening and closing the DVD compartment) are accessible via the remote. The buttons are quite rounded and easy to press.
The PET710 can be powered by an AC/DC adapter or by a DV 9V lithium-ion rechargeable battery pack. Battery life is about 2.5 hours, long enough to watch most movies. A 12V car adapter is also included in the package, so you shouldn't have to worry about battery life on the road.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCIP & Fixed Enablement SpecialistVIC
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTTest ManagerACT
- CCProduction Manager / Digital ProducerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HP-UX/Oracle RDBMS) 160720/SA/113Asia
- FTAppian DeveloperVIC
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- CCSenior Data ArchitectNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- FTAEM & AEM Forms ConsultantsWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - InsuranceVIC
- CCIT/Telco Graduate | 12mth ContractVIC
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - CloudVIC
- FTIT Helpdesk (Microsoft)NSW
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW