Philips DC350 iPod dock
The Philips DC350 iPod dock includes an FM radio and an alarm clock
- Easy to use and easy on the eye, charges devices while docked
- Expensive, poor sound quality
All the elements of an awesome iPod dock are here, but we weren't impressed by the Philips DC350's sound quality -- especially considering its price.
Price$ 299.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Lightweight On-Ear TV Headphones HP1800 12.93
Philips' DC350 isn't a high powered gun that robot cage fighters use — it's a Bluetooth-enabled iPod dock. It has an alarm clock and a radio (sadly only FM, not digital), and it can function as a loudspeaker for the iPhone. You can use it to synchronise the calendar and contacts on your iPod or iPhone as well.
We weren't impressed by the Philips DC350's performance as a speakerphone. The volume even at its highest setting is quite low and this results in phone conversations that are hard to hear. You’re better off picking up your iPhone and holding it to your ear, the old-fashioned way.
The Philips DC 350 is compatible with a range of iPods, including the Nano and Touch, as well as the iPhone. It also has a standard 3.5mm audio jack that allows you to plug in any MP3 player.
Although sound is clear it lacks punch and is often tinny, and switching on the bass boost function results in muffled audio. As an ornament for your bedside table or workstation, the DC350 will do the job — just don’t expect your sleeping quarters or cubicle to become some iPhone-fuelled trendy hangout where young people talk about Zac Efron and Facebook while eating Angus burgers.
A remote control comes bundled with the Philips DC350, and it works reasonably well. However, it's difficult to see the dock's small screen if you're situated more than a metre or two away from the device.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft makes serious smartphone play with Lumia 950 range
- Hands on: Microsoft's Surface Book is a stunner as both a tablet and a laptop
- Microsoft to live-stream Tuesday's Surface Pro 4, Lumia event
- What we expect from Microsoft's massive device launch: new Surfaces, Lumias, and Band
- Motorola to drop Moto Assist, Migrate, and Connect in transition to Marshmallow
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW