Wake to your iPod tunes.
- Design, build quality, auxiliary input, LCD screen, ease of use
- Limited remote control, below-average sound, lack of bass and treble controls
Despite the issues with sound quality there is a little to complain about at this price. The AJ301D is a capable hybrid alarm clock and iPod dock.
Price$ 139.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
A successor to the AJ300D, Philips' latest alarm clock cum iPod dock largely retains a similar design. Although there aren’t too many new features, it remains a reasonable bedside companion.
The AJ301D looks quite like a kitchen appliance, largely thanks to the gloss white and silver colour scheme. Its build quality feels solid, though, and the unit will sit nicely on most bedside tables. It’s a little larger than a regular alarm clock, so be warned if you are trying to skimp on space.
With the extra size comes a large LCD screen. You can conveniently dim or turn off the backlight when the unit is in standby mode by pressing the snooze button. Buttons for power and time set, as well as an audio selector switch, are located on the left side. The right side has five preset buttons for the FM radio. A large snooze button sits on top, in between two alarm buttons. Conveniently, the time and date will remain set for up to 10 minutes in the event of a blackout — up from its predecessor's five minutes.
The AJ301D supports any iPods with a dock connector thanks to the use of dock inserts. There is no insert included for the iPhone 3G, but it is still compatible and worked fine during testing. Philips also includes a rear-mounted auxiliary input and standard audio cable in the sales package. This means you can use the AJ301D with any device that has a standard 3.5mm audio jack (though you won't be able to use this in tandem with the alarm feature).
Being a clock radio, the AD301D also has an FM radio feature with five presets, but there is no AM radio. There are two alarms on the unit, and you can choose to be woken with music from your iPod, the radio or a standard alarm buzzer. Changing this method is as easy as flicking the switch located on the left side of the unit.
Sound quality is passable for a unit this size, though obviously far from outstanding. At lower volume levels the AJ301D performs well enough, but it suffers from notable distortion at higher volume levels. Philips says it uses wOOx bass technology — a small subwoofer is built into the rear of the unit. It doesn’t do that great a job, however, with the overall sound feeling tinny and harsh; instrumental separation is mediocre. A particular annoyance is the lack of basic bass and treble controls, meaning you’ll need to rely on your iPod’s equaliser.
Unfortunately, navigation with the included remote is limited. You can adjust volume, skip tracks and pause/play tracks but you can't browse through playlists or adjust any iPod settings without using the iPod itself.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- CCProject Manager - Healthcare DomainSA
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW
- CCMicrosoft System Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer- LinuxWA
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCMobile LI SMEVIC
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- FTData EngineersNSW
- FTRelease Planning LeadVIC
- FTJunior Web Developer | CBD | Digital AgencyVIC
- CCChange manager/Change LeadNSW
- CCBPM / Java DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- CCService Provider Manager - DesktopVIC
- FTBI / Business Intelligence Designer / ArchitectNSW
- CCProgram Business AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW