Philips Acoustic Fusion 3310
- Great sound reproduction, excellent bass
- Not as visually attractive as other similar systems
A sublime speaker system well worth considering if budget permits.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
The Philips Acoustic Fusion 310 produce impressive sound from a fairly small package and in doing so display how good PC speakers can really be. Using the latest in flat panel speaker technology, the Acoustic Fusion reproduces sound accurately without falling victim to the usual speaker pitfalls.
The first thing we noticed when we unpacked the speaker system was the petite nature of the product. The 6w speakers are small and the 20w subwoofer doesn't look anywhere near as powerful as it turned out to be. However once we actually set the system up we were pleasantly surprised by the test results. Setup itself was a breeze, with clearly labeled inputs for all the wiring and the usual colour coded 3.5mm jack to connect to the source device.
We tested the bass using a selection of R&B tracks as well as Nick Caves "Song of Joy" with favourable results. In the lower bass registers, the subwoofer belts out accurate thumping bass without losing detail or becoming muddy or muted.
We also tested the treble using a selection of string-heavy film scores and Howard Shores Main title theme from "Ed Wood" which boasts extensive use of the Theremin. This intense treble workout was handled with ease by the Acoustic Fusion, with clear notes in the higher treble registers without any loss of information or truncation.
Violent pitch changes were tested with the Radiohead track "Idioteque" without any problems and the mid-tones were consistent with every test we performed. In fact, throughout all the tests, the Acoustic Fusion maintained a high volume level without distortion while also handling quieter moments with precision.
The only flaw that we could find is really more of a subjective design observation. We found the speaker design to be rather utilitarian when compared with the sexy Philips MMS430. With the Acoustic Fusion, function definitely outweighs form.
While those looking for a great set of speakers would be wise to consider what the Acoustic Fusion 310 have to offer, prospective buyers should keep in mind that these are little more expensive than the MMS430 and deliver only marginally better sound.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Total War: Warhammer DirectX 12 performance preview: Radeon reigns supreme
- Radeon Polaris GPU and Bristol Ridge APU should be featured by AMD at Computex
- Google's Tensor Processing Unit said to advance Moore's Law seven years into the future
- Confirmed by Nvidia: Official GeForce GTX 1070 tech specifications leak
- Rumours are true: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 officially supports only 2-way SLI setups
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Marketing SystemsNSW
- FTInfrastructure Specialist - Sec Ops Network & OSAsia
- CCSAP Hanna ConsultantNSW
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Enterprise Java Beans/J2EE) 160601/AP/982Asia
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCContract Programmer (HTML/JAVA/SQL) 160525/P/013Asia
- FTSecurity Software EngineerACT
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCSystems Analyst (HTML/JAVA/Wireless & Mobile) 160525/SA/443Asia
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, AdviceNSW
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCTechnical Solutions Specialist - Software Developer (Client facing)NSW
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- FTTechnical Specialist EmailACT
- CCMicrosoft System Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160523/AP/568Asia
- CCQA OfficerACT