- Wide range of inputs, flexibility, clear image
- Audio inadequate for serious TV viewing
Clear images, extensive input and output connections and a wide range of potential uses help make this Philips monitor outstanding.
Price$ 3,499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Philips' multipurpose 30" TFT screen can serve as either a monitor or LCD TV. The 30" display incorporates a 16ms panel and runs in a 15:9 widescreen format at a native resolution of 1280 x 768 pixels. The screen weighs in at 16kg and measures 87 x 51 x 18cm. It also includes an analog TV tuner, so it can be used to watch conventional broadcast TV. What's more, it's HDTV ready, featuring full support for 480i through to 1080i HDTV, including progressive scan modes.
The default image is bright enough to handle a range of lighting conditions, up to office fluorescent lighting, and the comprehensive menu allows fine-tuning of image properties. The screen offers a viewing angle of 176 degrees, which is ample for any office or lounge room. The screen can be set up within five minutes (after bolting on the base and connecting cables) and ships with a lightweight plastic remote control that's used to tune the screen and access the on-screen menu. The screen can also be wall mounted if preferred. The onscreen display is clearly laid out and easy to navigate; it takes just a few minutes to fine-tune brightness, contrast, and colour balance settings.
The CD bundled with this monitor contains an electronic manual, display drivers, and image adjustment software. DVI and S-Video cables are also included.
Input options include component, composite, S-Video, VGA and DVI. Only power and DVI cables are bundled, though. Composite output is provided along with RCA and headphone audio connectors. An RS232 (serial) port is also included for network operation.
The image quality from both analog and digital sources is outstanding: clear, bright, and balanced. The two 5W bolt-on speakers offer adequate sound for watching TV or reproducing system sounds, but serious movie buffs would want to supplement the audio with a surround-sound amplifier and speaker set.
The screen is rated to operate between five and 35 degrees Celsius and it didn't heat up during testing. Philips offers a three-year warranty with the screen, and boasts 50,000 hours of operating life for the panel.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's 4K Blu-ray player debuts locally in May
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Smart TVs at risk from cyber crooks, report finds
- Netflix inches towards global dominance
- All Samsung smart TVs will be 'IoT-ready' in 2016
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Customer Engagement / NPSVIC
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- FTTechnical WriterNSW
- CCProgram Support ManagerQLD
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer, International SoftwareNSW
- CCDesktop Support L1, 2 & 3NSW
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- CCMultiple Middleware DevelopersACT
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCOracle CC&B Technical AnalystVIC
- CCAngularJS DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer 160120/AP/vvtAsia
- CCVMWare Horizon View 6.1 roll out & IT support | Short contract | Macquarie ParkNSW
- CCChange LeadNSW
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC