- Wide range of inputs, flexibility, clear image
- Audio inadequate for serious TV viewing
Clear images, extensive input and output connections and a wide range of potential uses help make this Philips monitor outstanding.
Price$ 3,499.00 (AUD)
Philips' multipurpose 30" TFT screen can serve as either a monitor or LCD TV. The 30" display incorporates a 16ms panel and runs in a 15:9 widescreen format at a native resolution of 1280 x 768 pixels. The screen weighs in at 16kg and measures 87 x 51 x 18cm. It also includes an analog TV tuner, so it can be used to watch conventional broadcast TV. What's more, it's HDTV ready, featuring full support for 480i through to 1080i HDTV, including progressive scan modes.
The default image is bright enough to handle a range of lighting conditions, up to office fluorescent lighting, and the comprehensive menu allows fine-tuning of image properties. The screen offers a viewing angle of 176 degrees, which is ample for any office or lounge room. The screen can be set up within five minutes (after bolting on the base and connecting cables) and ships with a lightweight plastic remote control that's used to tune the screen and access the on-screen menu. The screen can also be wall mounted if preferred. The onscreen display is clearly laid out and easy to navigate; it takes just a few minutes to fine-tune brightness, contrast, and colour balance settings.
The CD bundled with this monitor contains an electronic manual, display drivers, and image adjustment software. DVI and S-Video cables are also included.
Input options include component, composite, S-Video, VGA and DVI. Only power and DVI cables are bundled, though. Composite output is provided along with RCA and headphone audio connectors. An RS232 (serial) port is also included for network operation.
The image quality from both analog and digital sources is outstanding: clear, bright, and balanced. The two 5W bolt-on speakers offer adequate sound for watching TV or reproducing system sounds, but serious movie buffs would want to supplement the audio with a surround-sound amplifier and speaker set.
The screen is rated to operate between five and 35 degrees Celsius and it didn't heat up during testing. Philips offers a three-year warranty with the screen, and boasts 50,000 hours of operating life for the panel.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Hisense displays successors to amazing Series 7 ULED - Series 8 and 9
- Sony shows off its new OLED and LCD TVs, video projector, and Bluetooth speakers
- Sony’s Bravia XBR-A1E OLED could be the first flat-screen TV with sound that doesn’t suck
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Japan gears up for 8K TV broadcasting
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTTest Automation Lead | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCAutomation Developer - LinuxNSW
- FTService Delivery ManagerWA
- TPAPS6 Java DeveloperACT
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistSA
- FTSAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTDeployment Manager | ContractVIC
- CCIT SharePoint SpecialistNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- FTHelpdesk TechnicianVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Customer Communications/DocumentationNSW
- FTSenior Java Applications DeveloperVIC
- FTICT Account Manager / ICT Client Services ManagerQLD
- FTEnterprise Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Full Stack Web Developer - Port MacquarieQLD
- CCProjects Governance Risk SpecialistSA
- FTData Storage Support Consultant (EMC)QLD
- CCEnterprise/Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPSystems ManagerQLD
- CCBusiness Implementation Manager - Wealth AdviceNSW