PC Tools Threatfire 4.5
PC Tools Threatfire 4.5 is a free behaviour-based antivirus utility that serves as a great supplement to your existing security software, offering superb behaviour-based detection.
- Superb behaviour-based detection, works with existing security apps
- Cannot perform regular antivirus scans
Although Threatfire is designed to run with other apps, and we had no problems in our tests, it has conflicted with AVG in the past. That aside, we recommend PC Tools Threatfire 4.5 as a strong extra layer of defence. It's free, so grab it.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
PC Tools Threatfire is not a stand-alone antivirus program. Instead, PC Tools Threatfire 4.5 supplements your existing security app with highly effective behavioural analysis that can stop malware based solely on what the file tries to do on your PC.
Behavioural detection attempts to thwart the successful hacker tactic of churning out ever greater numbers of malware variants to stay one step ahead of traditional antivirus signature databases (which the majority of security programs use). Other programs employ behavioural or heuristic techniques, too (the latter looks for partial matches with known malware). But behavioural detection like the approach that PC Tools has implemented in PC Tools Threatfire 4.5 can be particularly tricky, as it's prone to accidentally flagging harmless software.
In AV-Test.org's behavioural-detection tests, most apps have only about a 30 percent to 60 percent detection rate. Not so for PC Tools Threatfire 4.5: It warned about every single one of the 15 malware samples used, and it blocked all but one of them. What's more, this nimble malware nabber didn't put up any false-positive warnings. It's hard not to be impressed with such stellar performance.
While running more than one regular antivirus app at the same time can cause major problems, PC Tools Threatfire 4.5 should run smoothly alongside existing security tools. Since it detects only programs that attempt to run, you'll still want a standard antivirus program to perform regular scans and to check files that write to your hard drive, before they get a chance to execute.
PC Tools Threatfire 4.5 is simple to use and defaults to an appropriate medium level of sensitivity, but we suggest turning on the option in Settings, Quarantine to create a system restore point automatically before quarantining anything. As for extras, a nice system-activity monitor provides extensive technical details about all currently running programs, and a mostly just-for-show threat monitor maps global malware outbreaks.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple slates March 21 event, with 4-in. iPhone likely on the stage
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Tablets replace books for kids back at school
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Australian Government issues security warning to Apple users
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Developer - AWS Cloud HSMNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst/Data Analyst Capability ManagerVIC
- CCSystem AnalystACT
- CCOffice 365 Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - TravelNSW
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Defence intelligence projects | NV2 clearanceACT
- CCLead UX DesignerNSW
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorVIC
- CCLevel 1 & 2 Helpdesk (Need SAP, ERP system experience)NSW
- CCMulesoft Integration DeveloperWA
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160630/SITA/642Asia
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC
- CCTenable Security - Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC