PC Tools Spyware Doctor 5.0
- Automatic updates does not require any user intervention
- You have to upgrade to antivirus to check for spyware and viruses from incoming e-mail
Spyware Doctor 5.0 continues the good work laid down by its forebears. Indeed, we'd go so far as to suggest that Spyware Doctor might be the best anti-spyware utility available.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Spyware Doctor 5.0 looks remarkably similar to version 4. Probe a little deeper, however, and the feature set has been noticeably extended.
Spyware Doctor is now able to integrate with other PC Tools products. With this release, there's an optional upgrade to the PC Tools antivirus engine, so that incoming e-mails are checked for spyware and viruses, while the scanner looks for both sorts of malware.
One criticism concerning updates has been addressed. Previously, updates had to be manually initiated, but now it's possible to set up automatic "silent" updates that require no user intervention. This means updates are incremental and download faster.
As before, Spyware Doctor's protection breaks down into two components: an on-demand scanner and a number of real-time monitors.
File scanning has been accelerated thanks to its patent-pending spider-scanning technology. A complete Intelli-scan of 3.5GB of data took just three minutes on our ageing notebook.
At the heart of version 5.0 is OnGuard Protection, which comprises a range of tasked guards: Browser, File, Keylogger, Network, Popup Blocker, Process, Site and Startup.
Each one can be disabled and you can only configure exclusions for Web sites or files. This will prevent new programs initiating automatically with your PC, block programs that collect your keyboard input, stop known malicious programs running and prevent access to malicious sites. The Process Guard can even kill kernel-level spyware processes.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
- YouTube is bringing live broadcasting for all to its mobile apps
- New Google prompt vastly simplifies two-factor authentication
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- CCF5 Infrastructure AdministratorNSW
- CCJunior PM/ConsultantACT
- FTSolution Architect - Data/ InformationVIC
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- FTLooking for a PEGA Developer with Baseline ClearanceVIC
- CCSenior Project Delivery ManagerACT
- CCJava Developer with Oracle database experience | Defence intelligence | NV1ACT
- CCSr Java Developer-JSP/Servlet,Hibernate, EJB3, Spring, RESTfulNSW
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160616/AP/185Asia
- CCITSM ConsultantNSW
- FTSoftware Services Team LeaderNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Enterprise DataNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - Marketing and Distribution systemsNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCLinux Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW