PC Tools Spyware Doctor 5.0
- Automatic updates does not require any user intervention
- You have to upgrade to antivirus to check for spyware and viruses from incoming e-mail
Spyware Doctor 5.0 continues the good work laid down by its forebears. Indeed, we'd go so far as to suggest that Spyware Doctor might be the best anti-spyware utility available.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Quick Melt Fully Active B12 Tablets 60 19.35
Spyware Doctor 5.0 looks remarkably similar to version 4. Probe a little deeper, however, and the feature set has been noticeably extended.
Spyware Doctor is now able to integrate with other PC Tools products. With this release, there's an optional upgrade to the PC Tools antivirus engine, so that incoming e-mails are checked for spyware and viruses, while the scanner looks for both sorts of malware.
One criticism concerning updates has been addressed. Previously, updates had to be manually initiated, but now it's possible to set up automatic "silent" updates that require no user intervention. This means updates are incremental and download faster.
As before, Spyware Doctor's protection breaks down into two components: an on-demand scanner and a number of real-time monitors.
File scanning has been accelerated thanks to its patent-pending spider-scanning technology. A complete Intelli-scan of 3.5GB of data took just three minutes on our ageing notebook.
At the heart of version 5.0 is OnGuard Protection, which comprises a range of tasked guards: Browser, File, Keylogger, Network, Popup Blocker, Process, Site and Startup.
Each one can be disabled and you can only configure exclusions for Web sites or files. This will prevent new programs initiating automatically with your PC, block programs that collect your keyboard input, stop known malicious programs running and prevent access to malicious sites. The Process Guard can even kill kernel-level spyware processes.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/SQL Server) 160812/AP/553Asia
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTServicenow DeveloperVIC
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Supply ChainNSW
- FTSenior .Net Applications SupportACT
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- CCService Coordinator/HelpdeskWA
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Test AnalystWA
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- FTDesktop Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCLead Solutions ArchitectQLD