PC Tools Spyware Doctor 5.0
- Automatic updates does not require any user intervention
- You have to upgrade to antivirus to check for spyware and viruses from incoming e-mail
Spyware Doctor 5.0 continues the good work laid down by its forebears. Indeed, we'd go so far as to suggest that Spyware Doctor might be the best anti-spyware utility available.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Spyware Doctor 5.0 looks remarkably similar to version 4. Probe a little deeper, however, and the feature set has been noticeably extended.
Spyware Doctor is now able to integrate with other PC Tools products. With this release, there's an optional upgrade to the PC Tools antivirus engine, so that incoming e-mails are checked for spyware and viruses, while the scanner looks for both sorts of malware.
One criticism concerning updates has been addressed. Previously, updates had to be manually initiated, but now it's possible to set up automatic "silent" updates that require no user intervention. This means updates are incremental and download faster.
As before, Spyware Doctor's protection breaks down into two components: an on-demand scanner and a number of real-time monitors.
File scanning has been accelerated thanks to its patent-pending spider-scanning technology. A complete Intelli-scan of 3.5GB of data took just three minutes on our ageing notebook.
At the heart of version 5.0 is OnGuard Protection, which comprises a range of tasked guards: Browser, File, Keylogger, Network, Popup Blocker, Process, Site and Startup.
Each one can be disabled and you can only configure exclusions for Web sites or files. This will prevent new programs initiating automatically with your PC, block programs that collect your keyboard input, stop known malicious programs running and prevent access to malicious sites. The Process Guard can even kill kernel-level spyware processes.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- Andromeda inbound? Google's long-rumored Android/Chrome OS merger may debut Oct 4
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hands-on: Opera's free, unlimited browser VPN is ready for secure surfing
- Microsoft sues repeat software pirate who owes company $1.2M from prior case
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT