PC Tools Registry Mechanic 7.0
- Quick, thorough and without any pesky pop-up reminders
- Optimisation and Processes components are simple tasks that Windows takes care of anyway
There's nothing groundbreaking in Registry Mechanic 7.0, but PC Tools' latest system optimiser is good enough to retain its top position among the paid-for system utilities
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Users of ageing PCs will know all too well that system performance can deteriorate over time – and Windows is often the focus of their irritation.
Slowdown can be caused by any number of things, but the Windows Registry is often at the root of the problem. Programs such as Registry Mechanic 7.0 pledge to clean, repair and optimise the Registry so you don't have to get your hands dirty.
We installed Registry Mechanic 7.0 on a test PC that already had installed Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5, Ad-Aware and CCleaner – so we were doubly impressed when the DeepScan tool discovered a large amount of junk that had been left behind from installation processes and uninstalled applications, as well as recent Internet activity.
DeepScan is quick, extremely thorough and provides results in an easily understood format.
The Registry Mechanic 7.0 system optimiser includes five components: optimisation, processes, performance, drive space and system information.
It's useful to have these elements in one place, but it could be argued that this part of Registry Mechanic 7.0 is window dressing – the optimisation component offers a defragmentation function that simply opens the Windows Defrag application, while the processes section shows a carbon copy of the processes content from within Windows Task Manager.
Nonetheless, it's handy to have access to this by simply right-clicking on the Registry Monitor icon in the bottom-right of your screen.
Which brings us to the real reason to recommend Registry Mechanic 7.0 – the Registry Monitor runs quietly in the background and provides the reassurance that any alterations to the Windows Registry will be brought to your attention.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCIBM ODM Expert (Operation Decision Manager)ACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCTechnical Support - iPAD, iPhone, Apple devicesNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCSenior / Lead UX DesignerNSW
- CCPHP Developer | Network Specialist |VIC