PC Tools Internet Security 2011
PC Tools Internet Security 2011: Great at blocking malware
- Great at blocking malware
- Slow scan speeds
While PCTools Internet Security does a great job at blocking malware, it’s hobbled by slow scan speeds.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
Does slow and steady win the race?
PC Tools' answer to this question is a definite yes: Get it clean, no matter how long it takes.
Sure enough, PC Tools Internet Security 2011's scanning performance is quite good, with 24 out of 25 real-world attacks blocked (tied for tops in this test), and an above-average 97.7 percent of zoo malware detected. In our tests, there were virtually no false positives to be found, and, best of all, PC Tools had the best rating of all 13 applications we reviewed at fixing infected systems, removing active malware components 80 percent of the time—tied for the best score—and removing all traces on infections 70 percent of the time—the best overall performer in this test.
The downside is that PC Tools generally takes its time with all of this. Its on-demand scan speed (which measures how quickly a product can scan files when you manually start a scan) was 12th out of 13, and PC Tools had the biggest overall impact on our PCs' performance out of the products we tested, slowing your system down considerably.
Perplexingly, that's not the end of the story: Unlike on-demand scanning, on-access scanning with PC Tools Internet Security is really quite spry. In fact, it was the fastest at these automatic file-by-file scans among all the apps we tested, a stark contrast to its other speed metrics.
In practice, the slowness of PC Tools' on-demand scanning was definitively noticeable. Running a full system scan took more than an hour—not including when my test system crashed in the middle of a scrubbing—and PC Tools is fond of numerous update operations and mandated restarts. We were also not thrilled with the lack of information PC Tools provides during its scans. In our hands-on tests the progress bar would very quickly jump to "90%"... then it'd stay there until the scan was nearly complete.
Getting around PC Tools Internet Security is a simple affair. Four big status buttons tell you if you're safe from malware and spam and whether your firewall is engaged, and settings are easy to access, offering an appropriate, moderate number of configuration options.
On the other hand, some of PC Tools' decisions are curious. We're not at all sure why a security tool would need an integrated registry editor, and dropping the log file viewer into the settings menu is a strange place for it.
Given PC Tools' bargain-bin pricing—at $79 for a one-year, three-PC license (as of 12/2/2010), it's nearly the cheapest application we tested—as well as its solid security performance, it's tempting to give this suite heavy consideration. And to that, we say go for it—provided you don't actually want to use your computer for anything else while scanning it for malware.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Britain's wartime codebreaking base could host a national cyber security college
- Kaspersky Labs says Microsoft is anticompetitive towards third-party antivirus
- Password manager LastPass now works on all your devices for free
- Netgear tweaks its home security camera line by introducing the Arlo Pro
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- CCJunior Data ArchitectACT
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCIT Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- TPTechnical Report EditorQLD
- CCService ManagerACT
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA