An iPhone- and iPod-compatible Bluetooth hands-free car kit.
- Hole- and screw-free installation, wireless remote control (steering wheel or dash mount), removable colour display, sound quality of voice and music, supports multiple music sources, automatic phonebook synchronisation, voice recognition
- Lack of confirmation when voice dialling, voice recognition isn't perfect
The MKi9200 is an exceptional car kit, especially for iPhone owners. Excellent audio quality, voice recognition technology and the ability to connect to a wide range of music sources make this an all-round winner.
Price$ 479.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
A fully fledged Bluetooth hands-free car kit, Parrot's range-topping MKi9200 offers full compatibility with the Apple iPod range as well as the iPhone 3G. In addition to providing hands-free calling via your car's speakers, it connects to a range of music devices — including iPods, iPhones, USB keys, MP3 players, A2DP Bluetooth devices and anything featuring a standard line-in jack.
Although it may sound complicated at first, the MKi9200 is a pretty simple device. It consists of five main components — an amplifier that is installed inside your dashboard, an external dual microphone, a 2.4in colour display, an iPod/USB/line-in cable, and a wireless remote control. The MKi9200 needs to be installed by a professional, which should take approximately an hour and a half depending on your vehicle. Importantly, the installation is completely screw and hole free, meaning if you want to remove the unit down the track it won't leave any visible marks or holes.
The five components of the MKi9200 are installed in different places (with the exception of the amplifier) depending on the size of your vehicle's cabin and your requirements. For our installation, the microphone was wired at the front of the roof lining and the display was placed to the right of the steering wheel on the dash. Usually the iPod/USB/line-in cable is wired to the glove box, but if you have other compartments in your vehicle this can be adjusted to suit your needs. The amplifier, essentially the brains of the unit and where all the components are connected, is installed behind or underneath your dash, away from view.
Once installed and connected, the MKi9200 automatically powers on when you start your car. As this is a hands-free kit first and foremost, you'll need to pair your Bluetooth phone to the unit — a simple process that takes less than a minute. After being paired with a phone for the first time, the MKi9200 will automatically recognise and connect to it as soon as it's powered on. When connected, the LCD will display your phone's network and a reception bar indicator.
The critical component of the MKi9200 is the amplifier — this allows the unit to bypass your car stereo. For example, if you are listening to the radio and a call comes in, the radio is muted and your ring tone is played through you car's speakers. Conveniently, the MKi9200 synchronises with your phonebook and reads a caller's name. The unit will automatically synchronise your contacts and phone numbers each time a new entry is detected.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Goodbye GPS? DARPA preparing alternative position-tracking technology
- Elon Musk: Teslas could drive themselves, today
- Nvidia unveils $10,000 autonomous driving computer
- Driverless cars in the UK gets the OK from government
- Spotify hijacks Uber speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW
- CCService ModellerNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- FTPrograme ManagerNSW
- FTWeb Programmer/ DeveloperVIC
- FTApplications Architect/ Pre-sales (Microsoft Applications)WA
- FTMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- FTProject Manager | SharePoint, Office 365 SkillsVIC
- FTServer EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NPPVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTJava or Ruby Web DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC