Panda Internet Security 2010
Panda Internet Security 2010 has good extras, but falls short
- Strong signature-based malware detection, plenty of features
- Lacklustre detection of new malware, complicated interface
Panda Internet Security 2010's interface needs some work, and its detection of new malware doesn't keep pace with the top performers.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Panda Internet Security 2010 includes all the basic features, plus some extras such as 2GB of online backup and the ability to protect USB devices. Despite its wealth of features, its detection of unknown malware falls short.
The Panda Internet Security 2010 interface is more complicated than it needs to be, using multiple combinations of both tabs and grouped items; this makes it confusing at first. That said, the configuration settings are easy to navigate, and are just one click away from the main screen.
The antispam feature adds a toolbar and a spam folder to Outlook and Outlook Express. Its backup feature can back up by file type (such as photos, Office documents, or internet favourites) or by selected folders or drives, and you can back up to Panda's online backup service. The parental controls require an account for each individual; by logging in, you activate the security set for that individual.
In our tests, Panda Internet Security 2010 did a good job of cleaning up infections. It detected all active infections on our test PC, rendered 93 percent of infections inert, and completely removed all files and Registry changes for 33 percent of infections (the removal rate is a little low, but no suite we tested completely removed every trace of malware). But Panda was only mediocre at detecting and cleaning up rootkits.
Panda Internet Security 2010 detected 93 percent of active rootkits and 80 percent of inactive rootkits. It was able to completely remove only 87 percent of this particularly stealthy malware. Our top performer was able to detect and remove all rootkits.
Panda Internet Security 2010's detection of new, unknown threats based on how they behave on a PC was unimpressive. It detected 73 percent of our samples, blocked 53 percent, and removed 33 percent. This is a hot area in PC security, as so-called zero-day attacks are becoming more frequent. The best performers managed to block over 90 percent of threats, but only Norton scored a perfect 100 percent in this category.
In detecting malware using traditional signature files, Panda Internet Security 2010 boasted a 99.8 percent detection rate. This means that Panda should be effective at detecting older malware - but since new malware outbreaks occur so frequently, traditional signature-based detection is less important than it once was.
Panda Internet Security 2010 slowed down boot times; our test system took 54.58 seconds to boot with Panda's suite installed. The sluggishness didn't persist, with Panda having minimal drag during ordinary tasks such as copying or creating files in Microsoft Office. Scan speeds were significantly slower than average; Panda took 5 minutes, 30 seconds to scan 4.5GB of data in on-access scanning tests that show how quickly the software can scan files when they are opened or saved to disk. The fastest-scanning suite completed the test in 2 minutes, 51 seconds.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- BlackBerry’s PRIV hits Australian shores
- LG patches data theft bug affecting millions of Android phones
- Asacub is mobile banking’s new adversary: Kaspersky Lab
- Kaspersky Lab partners with WISeKey for wearable security
- Smart TVs at risk from cyber crooks, report finds
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- FTLinux AdministratorVIC
- FTManual Software TesterNSW
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | ChatswoodNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (CISCO/SSLVPN/Firewall) 160211/SA/551Asia
- FTSenior Performance Test AnalystNSW
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- CCSAP Business Intelligence SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- CCProcurement Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- FTPrincipal Business Analyst (SQL/SAS)NSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- CCEnterprise Systems Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- CCSAP Primavera Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Business Systems AnalystACT
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW