Panda GateDefender Integra 300
- Different sub-networks can be configured with various security features, good at stopping viruses
- It's not user-friendly, Web blocking is hit and miss
The Panda GateDefender Integra 300 is very bound to sys-admin culture and so requires some solid network-management skills. But if you're already an expert, you'll appreciate how it does almost everything from inside a single rack-mounting box.
Panda GateDefender Integra 300 offers enterprise-level Internet protection in a box.
For home users on broadband, a router firewall and a combination of antivirus and spyware software should be enough to keep out most online marauders. But if you're running a business, lost time is lost money.
And given that there's more to security than virus protection, it would be useful to have a simple one-stop plug-in box that can deal with spam, phishing, spyware, viruses, unauthorised access attempts and the kind of Web filtering that makes sure your employees aren't playing World of Warcraft or surfing for porn when they should be working. That's very nearly what the Panda GateDefender Integra 300 does.
Physically the Panda GateDefender Integra 300 is a 1U rack-mount server-style box that's designed to slot into a machine room. It's not quiet, and it's certainly not practical to leave it in an office environment and expect people to work around it.
Functionally the Panda GateDefender Integra 300 bundles all of the tools mentioned above and makes them available in a slot-in box that's designed to plug into your network.
Although the price of Panda GateDefender Integra 300 appears high, it's certainly much lower than the prices more usually charged for boxes with these features.
However, unless you have good network experience you may find yourself out of your depth in the set-up process, which could have been made friendlier and more accessible. Nonetheless, once you're into the system, you'll find a wealth of options. On the network side you can configure different sub-networks with various security features connected to each of the eight sockets as well as an Internet/WAN input.
Although there's a wizard to help with this, it's not a simple process, especially if you've never done it before, and it would have been helpful had the Panda GateDefender Integra 300 offered more in the way of default configuration options, or even just some examples to get beginners started with minimal fuss.
You can also run the Panda GateDefender Integra 300 in transparent mode, which means it slots in between your Internet connection and your network more simply, but you do then lose some of the more advanced security configuration options.
On the security side you can choose any or all of the spam filtering, site blocking, virus removal, spyware removal, VPN (Virtual Private Network), and firewall features. The Panda GateDefender Integra 300's firewall defaults to letting nothing at all in, which is good for security but you'll need to start poking holes in it for services like VoIP.
Again, this has to be done by hand. Virus filtering is by way of Panda's own solution, which is robust and well-respected. Other services, though, have been imported from third parties.
The Panda GateDefender Integra 300's Web blocking system uses a solution by ISS (Internet Security Systems) which offers a regularly updated list of offensive or dangerous URLs that can be selected by category. You can also add your own keyword searches, although this takes a while to configure and needs to be set-up carefully to avoid false positives.
Both incoming and outgoing e-mail can be filtered for offensive content as well as spam, and there's even an attempt to catch phishing requests -- although these are evolving all the time, so 100 per cent reliability is unlikely. The Panda GateDefender Integra 300 can also filter out scripts from Web pages, check for suspect files in FTP or Web downloads, and use heuristics to track polymorphic viruses.
In testing we found that virus trapping was very good, but spam and Web blocking could be a little hit and miss. This isn't a complete surprise -- spam lacks the hard edges of a virus payload, making it harder to spot definitively. But avoiding false positives took some fine tuning, and this could be a distraction in an office environment.
The Integra 300 is designed for 100-250 user networks and the Integra 100 is for below 100 users.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- BlackBerry readies a more secure version of the Samsung Galaxy S7
- After CIA leak, Intel Security releases detection tool for EFI rootkits
- Cisco on CIA WikiLeaks revelations: It’s not our problem… this time
- Old Windows malware may have tampered with 132 Android apps
- Google shifts on email encryption tool, leaving its fate unclear
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTProject Manager - Financial Forecasting SystemsNSW
- FTDesign Specialist - TelecomNSW
- FTField Hardware Deployment EngineerNSW
- CCWeb Data Entry PublisherACT
- FTProject Manager (Business Applications)NSW
- FTAGILE Implementation Manager ContractNSW
- FTSnr Salesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- CCAutomation Test AnalystQLD
- FTSAS DeveloperNSW
- CCPerformance AnalystQLD
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCSenior Developer - Java - TelcoVIC
- FTIncident and Problem ManagerVIC
- FTSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- TPBusiness Analyst | HealthQLD
- CCBig Data Developer - Government - 12 Month Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTNetwork Services ManagerQLD
- TPBusiness Project Manager - DigitalNSW
- CCAutomation Developer - LinuxNSW
- FTMicrosoft Designer / ArchitectVIC