Panda Antivirus Pro 2010
Panda Antivirus Pro 2010 is a fair performer
- Simple tabbed interface, solid feature set
- Changing program settings is a pain
Panda Antivirus Pro 2010 does a decent job at malware blocking but doesn’t stand out.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Panda Antivirus Pro 2010 ($69.95 for a one-year, three-PC licence) offers strong traditional malware detection, but is dragged down by negatives like poor behavioural scans.
In scans performed by AV-Test.org, Panda did well in traditional signature-based detection of known malware. Its 99.8 percent block rate placed it third in that category, behind only the G-Data and McAfee apps. However, it didn't fare as well in tests that gauge how well a program can identify and block new malware that doesn't yet have a signature. In heuristic tests that use 2-week-old signature files, Panda identified 53.7 percent of newer malware samples, which earning it eighth place in that category.
The program's ability to immediately check unknown files against Panda's online servers can help mitigate that relatively unimpressive showing, since this cloud computing approach can use the latest signatures as soon as they're available. But the app also fared poorly in behavioural analysis tests that measure how well a security program can identify malware based on how it acts. In those tests it successfully blocked only two out of 15 brand-new samples, which put it in last place among those programs that include the feature (not all do).
This app did well at getting rid of existing infections, and successfully disabled all 10 test infections. It also did a good job with a third-place tie when it came to cleaning up less-important files and system changes made by malware, which are often left behind by antivirus apps. However, it left one active rootkit in place; many of the programs we tested were able to remove all these samples of stealth malware.
Panda does sport a solid array of features. The company doesn't offer any program without a firewall, so you'll get one with Antivirus Pro (although we didn't test it as part of our recent AV software tests). It also scans Web, e-mail and IM traffic for threats, and can check for missing Windows patches (malware authors often target existing security holes that users may have left unpatched). And its program interface is easy to get around, with different tabs for status, scans, reports, and the like.
However, checking or changing the program's settings can be a pain. A preferences link at the top of its window only shows a subset of the available options, with others split between separate settings links on the status and scan tabs. And while some of the settings and other program areas offer links to the relevant help sections, not all do. Without such links you're stuck manually searching for what you need.
Panda's middle-of-the-road rank befits its middling status. It does a fair job, but it's outperformed by other apps.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Settings in iOS 10: Every notable change you need to know
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSoftware Licencing SpecialistNSW
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- CCSecurity ConsultantVIC
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- FTSenior Data Warehouse ConsultantNSW
- CCService Delivery Analyst -Port MacquarieNSW
- TPSAP Supply Lead - MM/LogisticsQLD
- FTPMO CoordinatorACT
- TPBusiness Analyst (BI Focus)WA
- FTSenior Business Analyst Forecaster - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSharepoint Support AnalystVIC
- FTHealthcare Application Integration Support - Brisbane BasedWA
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- FTTester AnalystACT
- FTSalesforce Business AnalystNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCSecurity Analyst/Security ArchitectACT
- FTTeam Leader Application SupportVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Specialist - Data ManagementNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT HealthcareQLD
- TPSOE EngineerACT