Panasonic VIERA TH-P55VT30A plasma TV (preview)
Panasonic VIERA VT30A preview: A plasma television with some serious picture quality credentials
- If specs are anything to go by picture quality should be excellent
- It looks like Panasonic's VIERA Connect is going to offer less than competitors' smart TV services
The Panasonic VIERA VT30 series looks like it's got some great picture quality upgrades over last year's model. Considering the jump in picture quality we saw between Panasonic's 2009 and 2010 TVs, we're optimistic about the VIERA VT30's abilities. We're concerned that the TV's VIERA Connect service won’t be as comprehensive as other manufacturers' IPTV offerings, though.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Loloi Rugs, VIERA COLLECTION, VIERVR-02IVBR92... 880.99
Panasonic's VIERA TH-P55VT30A and VIERA TH-P65VT30A make up the company's top plasma TV range, the VT30 series. These 55in and 65in plasmas should offer excellent picture quality — if the last two years' top Panasonic plasma TVs are any indication — and an improved IPTV and Web service called VIERA Connect.
According to the news that came out of CES this year, there'll be no 50in VIERA VT30, with only 55in and 65in models offered. The Panasonic VT20 from 2010 was available in 50in, 58in and 65in sizes. We would have liked to see a 42in model offered — not everyone has the space for a 55in TV in their house. We're expecting picture quality to be even better than last year's Panasonic VIERA VT20 plasma — which we thought had the best 3D picture quality of any TV in 2010 — due to advancements in Panasonic's plasma panel production and image processing.
VIERA Connect is Panasonic's new name for the IPTV and Web features of its VIERA plasmas and LED TVs. We don't know what IPTV services will be on offer in Australia yet, but to keep up with competitors Panasonic will have to include a movie streaming service like BigPond Movies on Demand, at least one major catch-up TV service like ABC iView, and possibly some linear streaming TV 'channels' a la BigPond TV. We do know that Web services du jour Facebook, Twitter and Skype will all be available on the Panasonic VIERAs. The biggest problem with Panasonic's VIERA Connect is that competitors Sony and Samsung will likely be able to offer more — Samsung has Smart TV and Sony has Sony Internet TV.
We'll know more details on the Australian price and release date for all Panasonic's 2011 plasma TVs in early April.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- LG releases first flat screen OLED TV in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTITSM Head of Service Desk & SwitchboardACT
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCService DeskWA
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- FTDigital Account Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- FTMultiple opportunities for Front and Back end Web DevelopersVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Network and InfrastructureNSW
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCService Desk OperatorACT