Panasonic TH-50PZ850A plasma television
A good value Panasonic plasma television with an SD card slot and acceptable image quality
- Well-designed remote, SD card slot
- Average picture quality
The Panasonic TH-50PZ850A is pretty good value, especially in view of its generous array of extra features.
Price$ 3,899.00 (AUD)
The Panasonic TH-50PZ850A is a pretty good value, especially in view of its generous array of extra features. Not only can it display your pictures and run your videos off its SD card slot, but this set also does an adequate, though not extraordinary, job displaying movies and TV shows.
The 480Hz Sub-Field Drive promises to improve fast-moving sequences by flashing the image eight times for every frame, or 480 times per second. But in our image quality tests, we didn't detect any tangible improvement. Though I liked the way the Panasonic TH-PZ850A handled fast motion in the Mission: Impossible III Blu-ray test clip, not all of the other judges agreed. And this TV did a poor job in our other fast-movement test — the 720p NASCAR clip. There I noticed heavy pixelation surrounding the cars as they spun around the track in a wide shot.
Overall, we deemed the Panasonic TH-PZ850A's picture quality good but not great. Among the problems judges noted were pixelation in long shots, reddish tones on Caucasian skin, and a bad overscan when handling a 720p source. The Panasonic TH-50PZ850A also has an SD Card slot. It can show you a slideshow of your JPEG photos, or play your videos if they're in AVCHD or MPEG2 format.
The model does have a very good (albeit not backlit) programmable remote. It's long, but the buttons are big and easy to find with your thumb.
The blocky on-screen menus aren't pretty, but they're functional and easy to read. If you get confused, a picture at the bottom of the menu reminds you where the OK and Return buttons are and what to do with them. An easy-access Sub Menu (a poor choice of name; it's not a submenu but a secondary, small, and simple menu) lets you change common options such as Closed Captioning and Favorites without having to navigate the main menu.
The sound quality is acceptable, but no better than that. It emulates surround sound reasonably well and becomes only slightly strained when things get loud. But you won't want to depend on your TV's speakers if sound is important to you.
I wish that the image quality were a bit better, but the Panasonic TH-50PZ850A is definitely worth its price. A higher-rated big-screen plasma television to consider is the LG 50PG30FD.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCUser Access Review (UAR) DeveloperVIC
- FTDefence Network Architect | NV2ACT
- CCTrainer - Windows 10 / Office 2016ACT
- CCAgile Performance Tester- Bamboo, Jenkins, Confluence, JiraNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- FTEnvironment Management AnalystACT
- CCSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- CCTest CoordinatorQLD
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC