- DVD-RAM support, reliable
- Slow CD ripping and DVD writing
This drive is recommended for users who are after a drive that can read and write to DVD-RAM discs as well as all other DVD formats. Its CD performance was average and users looking for a drive to rip lots of music CDs will find the SW9585C unsuitable.
Price$ 180.00 (AUD)
This is one the few drives with the ability to write to non-cartridge type DVD-RAM discs, which makes it desirable if you already own a DVD-RAM-based set top DVD recorder. If you're a heavy user of rewritable discs then DVD-RAM will benefit you because of its robustness. DVD-RAM discs use error correction and can theoretically be rewritten up to 100,000 times. In addition, the discs can be used just like a hard drive, which means you can drag and drop data to and from the disc without having to finalise it, and programs can even be installed onto it. Of course, it will only be readable in drives that support DVD-RAM.
The SW9585C's supports 4X double layer burning. It created a disc that was playable in our older Pioneer 106D DVD burner and our Zensonic Z330 DVD player.
We didn't have any problems with any of its DVD burning or read functions, although when it came time to rip a music CD the drive proved slower than most others we have looked at. Music CD rips took close to 10 minutes.
This drive is one of the few that uses the PCAV method for reading DVD discs, and its real world performance proved very good. Its DVD-R read performance in particular was very quick.
It's also one of few drives to use the CLV method, instead of the CAV method, for writing DVDs. Its write performance was average for DVD+R and DVD+R DL media, while its DVD-R time was rather slower than many of the other drives we have tested.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- TPNetwork Security OfficerVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- TPProject Services OpportunitiesSA
- FTCloud Orchestration SpecialistVIC
- FTRegional Sales Manager - Telco/ICT - Employer of choiceQLD
- TPSenior Applications Support AnalystSA
- FTERP Support ConsultantQLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantQLD
- TPSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Front End Web DeveloperNSW
- FTiOS Developer - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- FTManager - Field ServicesVIC
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Transformation projectsSA
- FTTechnical Account ManagerNSW
- CCChange Manager - O365 Upgrade ProjectQLD
- TPLevel 3 Systems EngineerWA
- TPProject Manager - Data ManagementSA
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXNSW
- FTLife/400 Technical Business AnalystNSW
- FTFunctional ConsultantNSW
- FTMid Level Infrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager - Queensland TerritoryQLD