- DVD-RAM support, reliable
- Slow CD ripping and DVD writing
This drive is recommended for users who are after a drive that can read and write to DVD-RAM discs as well as all other DVD formats. Its CD performance was average and users looking for a drive to rip lots of music CDs will find the SW9585C unsuitable.
Price$ 180.00 (AUD)
This is one the few drives with the ability to write to non-cartridge type DVD-RAM discs, which makes it desirable if you already own a DVD-RAM-based set top DVD recorder. If you're a heavy user of rewritable discs then DVD-RAM will benefit you because of its robustness. DVD-RAM discs use error correction and can theoretically be rewritten up to 100,000 times. In addition, the discs can be used just like a hard drive, which means you can drag and drop data to and from the disc without having to finalise it, and programs can even be installed onto it. Of course, it will only be readable in drives that support DVD-RAM.
The SW9585C's supports 4X double layer burning. It created a disc that was playable in our older Pioneer 106D DVD burner and our Zensonic Z330 DVD player.
We didn't have any problems with any of its DVD burning or read functions, although when it came time to rip a music CD the drive proved slower than most others we have looked at. Music CD rips took close to 10 minutes.
This drive is one of the few that uses the PCAV method for reading DVD discs, and its real world performance proved very good. Its DVD-R read performance in particular was very quick.
It's also one of few drives to use the CLV method, instead of the CAV method, for writing DVDs. Its write performance was average for DVD+R and DVD+R DL media, while its DVD-R time was rather slower than many of the other drives we have tested.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- CCMidrange Technical ArchitectQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst- Process Mapping Specialist- Gov / Bank backgdNSW
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCSolution DesignerACT
- CCSenior Media AnalystVIC
- CC.net DeveloperACT
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCPMO AnalystVIC
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - Marketing and Distribution systemsNSW
- CCProject Manager | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/SQL) 160621/AP/082Asia
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCProject Scheduler - IT Security ProgramNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW
- CCTenable Security - Technical ConsultantVIC